Deer Hunting Forums banner

Cva optima breech plug concerns.

3K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  Unregistered 
#1 ·
My father in law gave me a used CVA optima with the quick release breech plug. I took it out to the range and it shot very well. I was happy till I took it apart to clean it. I noticed the flash hole on the breech plug looked awfully big compared to my knight so I looked at a friends wolf with the same plug and his is smaller like my knight. I asked my father in law about it and he said he drilled it so it would shoot black horn 209. I ordered the plug set up for it but he said I'm being too paranoid. The flash hole is as big as a 7/64 drill bit. I'm suprised it didn't mess it up. Am I being too paranoid or am I right about that being dangerous. II have limited time so far in muzzleloaders but it just doesn't seem right.

G
#2 ·
horrible thing to do and should NOT be shot. 7/64 flash hole would launch that primer into the frame so hard, i bet it would really mess something up, not to mention the gasses that would hit you in the face.

You did the right thing in ordering the correct blackhorn209 breech plug for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.