cva headspace shims? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 12-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Scrub Buck

Default cva headspace shims?

Hey, I had a question about the cva headspace adjustment shims. I was under the impression that the purpose of these was to snug things up to you're primer and eliminate blowback & therefore keeping things cleaner. I was looking at the cva website today and it specifically said is not intended to reduce blowback, only to bring firing pin retainer flush with frame. So, what's the point. Mine works great without it, but if I could keep it cleaner, I wouldn't hesitate to get one. Worth a try for the price, but I don't want to waste my time if it's not going to do anything. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Banned

Yeah they dont like us doing that due to the fact that if you adjust it to much and slam the gun shut, it will in fact go off. Keep it simple, adjust for only the brand of primer you start with and strictly use that.

It will stop the blow by solid as shown in the video
CVA Firing Pin Bushing Shim Kit - YouTube

If you'd like to make it easier on you but a little more up keep, try the metric O rings. The code # you need is on the picture.

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 12-18-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 AM

This moderator does NOT promote or support ANY advice from FrontierGander.

Anyone who takes and uses advice, that frontiergander offers, either to alter or supposedly improve on,
the functionality of a weapon, could be putting themselves in harms way possibly even costing them their own lives.

Anyone can clearly read it in his own words in the post above this post.

MY ADVISE, ALWAYS contact the company that manufactured the weapon,
not some yahoo on the internet that thinks he knows what he's doing.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Hunting Always

Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 AM

We have discussed, in the recent past, that certain modifications to firearms puts one's self in great danger. I really do not understand statements like if you shim too far the gun will fire upon closing! CVA or any other maker simply has to fix under warranty any issues with their products. My TC Triumph will not close the action when using Winchester primers. CCI and Remington are fine. So I do not machine the breach plug or anything to alter the gun just use what is safe to use. FG does a lot of shooting of muzzleloaders, and knows CVA products, his experiments are his only and should not be followed by readers of this site. I wonder what would happen, in a court of law, following a liability injury lawsuit, stemming from the altering of a firearm from information gathered on a web site, who would be held liable? Is CVA condoning the shimming, even supplying the shims or o-rings and a mishap occurs, I wouldn't want to defend them in a court. First question: did you know there was a problem, second question, why didn't you do a full recall and fix the problem. Third question: How do you wish to make payments, monthly, quarterly, one lump sum? Folks, the simple answer is jerry rig a firearm too many bad things can happen.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Banned

A man has to know his limits and apparently firearm upgrades and tuning is out of a couple persons abilities.

Last edited by frontiergander; 12-18-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:57 PM

Spamming the Deer Hunters Club with posts from a personal Blog will not be tolerated.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 PM

FG your last post may be your last post! I see no reason to provoke the moderators when we have to step in and post a disclaimer on suggested modifications when they involve the safety of the viewers. You were the one who posted that the shimming if too much could cause the gun to fire when closed. That would not be a good thing. This site cannot promote activities that put members in harms way. I think we have covered this subject pretty well, enough said. Your moderator slam did not go un-noticed. I see you have been banned from this site, probably for the better.

Last edited by Hunting Man; 12-18-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:01 PM

We have tolerated a lot of posts involving risky content by FG, this type of post from him isn't anything new but has finally gone too far.
He has been spoken to in the past about making posts regarding tampering/altering weapons in a way that could cause harm to others and as anyone can clearly see from his own words,
he said; "if you adjust it to much and slam the gun shut, it will in fact go off"

These sort of posts can no longer be tolerated thus my reason for banning him. But I guess he seems to think I just wanted to abuse the powers of a moderator but if that were the case
I would have banned him LONG before now yet I still want to emphasize that if or when someone posts a question that could require an adjustment or altercation,
the best advice any of us can offer would be to refer them back to the company that manufactured that weapon.
I think it's important to let the manufacturer decide which adjustments or aletercations would be safe to perform.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Scrub Buck

didn't mean for anyone to freak out or get in trouble. I figured since it's a cva product, it should be legit and not hillbillie gunsmithing. I was just wanting to clearify it's purpose since the website is kind of contradicting itself. I do understand that from a liability standpoint this site can't give gunsmithing advise, just the type of society we live in today. I didn't think of that before I asked the question, sorry if I got anyone in trouble.

Last edited by gosteelers; 12-18-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 PM
B&C 100 Class

I would just send it to CVA under warranty if you think it needs repaired or adjusted as others have said just be safe. Hillbillie gunsmithing sorry but that's funny I'm a Thompson Center arms co fan myself not so much of a CVA fan. When you said that I just got a image of a Spanish Hillbillie stuck in my head due to the guns coming from Spain with a hammer a 4x4 of american cedar wood 2 nails & a tube of epoxy I really hope they are not building em this way but yeah in todays world who knows. Hope you get it all worked out.

Just my .02 cents but CVA contradicting itself is quite often. For legit as it can get look to a Co based in the usa that make the guns here. TC Knight Savage are just a few. There lower end models most always outperform the high end imports. Bruce & Hunting man give sound advice & are very knowledgeable. I respect them for caring about the sport & safety of others. Happy hunting & Live to Hunt another day. MWP