cva headspace shims? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 AM
Scrub Buck

no real reason to send it back for repair, it works great, I was just being lazy and wanted to spend less time cleaning it. since you brought up TC, I had a question. Anyone have an impact? I was thinking about getting one for my kids to go deer hunting with me, since they have an adjustable stock. Also, what would be a minimum load recoil-wise but still ethically kill a deer at 50 yds, maybe 100yds max.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 08:51 AM

I have several TC BP rifles but have no knowledge of the impact model. I would imagine that it should be a great starter rifle for anyone including wife and kids. The Fire Hawk, Triumph, Omega, and PA Hunter I have are all top quality as one would expect from TC. For kids I'd start with something like 70 grains of loose powder, I prefer Black Horn. I do not use or like pellets. As long as the accuracy of the rifle is good, this should be plenty to harvest deer. I'm glad that most here realize that modifications to firearms can be dangerous and may in fact void any warranty coverage for damage or liability issues. I'm not going to trash CVA nor any other ML maker. I lean more to TC products because over the last 25 years or so they have provided me with quality products for the money. Traditions has come a long way lately and I like the look/feel of their top models.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:12 PM
B&C 100 Class

I do not own the impact but a friend of mine got one for one of his sons his older brother got the Omega z5. both are a very good starter & like mentioned the Impact is adjustable. I would start with the load & powder Hunting Man suggested. However remember the Impact only weighs in at 6 1/2 lbs or around that The Omega z5 version is 7 1/2 lbs or around that it will recoil a bit less. I would go to walmart or a gun shop that has both guns let him or her shoulder the guns. If the length of pull on the Omega z5 & weight is not to much I would go with it. The Omega will be a bit more accurate due to not being a break action. Both guns will amaze you tho just get one that fits the shooter right. 70grains of loose blackhorn 209 will do the job out to 100 yards I shoot 90Grains out of my Omega. TC Shockwave 250Grain bullets or Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ 250Grain would be a good bullet to use as they both come with the hph-24 sabot as supplied seems to be a good fit in TC gun barrels. Pack of regular CCI 209M Magnum shotshell primers & one of them Sabot bullet combos from above with Blackhorn 209 powder load of 70 Grains will be a deadly combo. I started at 80 grains of that powder when sighting in - working up load for best accuracy to me it felt like the recoil of a .410 shotgun with scatter shot or less it was not much. The guns weight eats up lots of recoil & fit helps to. I would not want to load to the max load for Blackhorn 209 of 120 Grains tho I'm sure I would look like this Hope this helps good luck & happy hunting & good on you for getting the kids out in the woods!
Old 12-19-2012, 03:35 PM

I shoot 100 grs of Black Horn powder in all my in-lines. This gives me great accuracy and speed. I also use 250 gr shock wave bullets. My Triumph is not fun to load, tight bore, but it does shoot great. I just started trying some 290 gr bullets and have not shot them at any game animals yet.