New MuzzleLoader Hunter - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 11-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Scrub Buck

Default New MuzzleLoader Hunter

Hi everyone. Hope this hunting season has gone well for you.

I have been an avid deer hunter in MN for 15+ years now and have typically been hunting the Shotgun and Bow seasons here. I am now interested in the new challenge of hunting with a MuzzleLoader. I am looking on advice for a good starter gun or set and if anyone knows of any classes or anything I can take to teach me how to operate my new weapon once it is purchased.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Banned

CVA Optima or CVA Accura V2
Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 AM

I know nothing about muzzleloaders. All I can tell you is welcome to the DHC. Good Luck.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:50 AM

TC, CVA, Traditions, pick one in 50 cal. Use Black Horn powder and Remington 209 ML primers. Work your loads up starting with 90 grs volume measured. Most likely you will find 100 gr loads give good accuracy. There are many bullets, just try 250 and 290 gr in a sabot construction and see which weight shoots best. I like a faster bullet so 250 gr works for me.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 PM
Banned

do not use ML primers with blackhorn209, you want full strength 209 primers. CCI 209M primers are the hottest followed by Federal 209A primers.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Scrub Buck

For me all i use is CVA equipment. Its not expensive and for me has worked flawlessly for 18yrs. I currently use a firebolt magnum but am wanting a break action. IMHO the break is the way to go. If i were starting green i would go with a cva wolf. New they are about 225. For powder triple 7 pellets. They clean up with water. Primer system would definately be a 209 shotgun primer. For a projectile i choose powerbelt. Mine are 285gr hp. They are a snap to clean after and there is virtually no plastic streaking in the bore. I definately feel a magnum charge for general purpose is NOT needed. Mine prints 1.75-2" groups at 100yds for 9 shots without cleaning and only opens to 3" past there.

Modern muzzleloading is very simple. To load is 2 pellets then projectile. Firmly seat then score the ram rod at the crown. This will A. let you know if its loaded and B. assure uniform seating. Put a cap on and its ready to fire. To clean remove the breach plug and its an open tube. Brush, patches, a little anti seize on the breach plug threads. 5 minutes and its done.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 PM

Like most things in life you get what you pay for. CVA wolf model is bargain basement, step up to a TC. I have had several CCI primer failures so I use Remington. I have a fully rigged TC Omega, scoped with a Nikon Omega scope, for sale if you're interested.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Scrub Buck

How much? Probably cant afford it myself. My firebolt i got used for $100 bucks. $30 dollar scope. I work on avg 60hrs a week and still have very limited free cash. I have to have the best cheapest equipment i can get. My rifle is a Savage 110e 30-06 and Savage 110 .270. Both were less than $400 each. But they will shoot with any Browning or Remington they ever went up against.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Banned

the Wolf is a great rifle, lifetime warranty and shoots both conicals and sabots great. Dont let the price fool you, TC has to pay for all that TV advertisement and the customer helps do that.

I personally would save a few extra bucks and go with a CVA Optima, one heck of a deal. Walmart and cabelas have them on sale for around $219 with stainless steel barrel.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:09 AM

I agree with Huntingman, CVA is at best a fair, entry level muzzleloader for someone on a budget even their (cva's) top of the line rifle is only considered a good choice.
I always suggest to the buyer to save a little more money and go with a better quality Muzzleloader and make an excellent right from the start like a Traditions Vortek or a Thompson Center,
this will save you the headache of needing to upgrade after using the cva for only 2 or 3 years.