(Newbie) Some general tracking tips? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Scrub Buck

Default (Newbie) Some general tracking tips?

Hello,

I've never hunted, but wanted to do some research on hunting in general, just because it fascinates me. I'd really appreciate some tips, good links, or general guidance.

I'm really interested on the tracking part of hunting, but most google searches I've done so far on tracking only describe tracking a wounded (shot) animal. What about reaching the animal, say a whitetail or any sort of deer? I've read that some species know when they're being followed and start doing evasive maneuvers, crossing creeks, etc. What are some right things to do when tracking an animal and what are some wrong things to do, that'll make the animal suspicious?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 AM
B&C 160 Class

Good luck trying to follow a big game animal in the woods. You may have some luck out west but I wouldn't know about that. You can spot and stalk or you can ambush (stand hunt) but you are not very likely to track one through the woods.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Scrub Buck

Oh, I see, thanks for the reply! So there's no situation where you would find tracks that you are certain are fresh and try to track down the deer?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:34 PM

The snow can be pretty helpful at times to track animals. Especially if it is a fresh, powdery snow. Tracks can seen quite well.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:16 PM

Tracking a single or a pair in snow is pretty easy, however when you have tracks that intertwine with many it's pretty hard to separate them out. On dry ground, forget it.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:17 AM

Snow is the absolute best time to track a game animal, tracking is a skill that takes many many years to learn, many, many hunts,
with countless hours of just studying tracks but if you stick to it you'll learn a lot about the animals activities & behaviors.
If you're interested in Tracking look here for the Benoit Family books and videos on the subject, They are extremely successful trackers.
Good Luck

Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 AM
B&C 160 Class

You wood do better sitting in one spot and wait for the deer to come to you.
Then track the blood trail
Old 09-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Scrub Buck

Default In AZ

I've hunted Arizona for a few years now and I have always found that the time of year is the biggest factor. Meaning whether or not it is hunting season:)

If it is hunting season you have to sit and call them in and ambush them. Your position is determined from previous scouting trips.

Or if you find fresh tracks or glass them during the hunting season then you can do a stalk. Basically stalking is figuring out which way they are headed and cut them off at the chosen (hopefully correct) spot.

They are way to spooked to think that you can follow fresh tracks during the hunting season and catch up to them.

If it is not hunting season and they have not been shot at for while then you might have some luck with following, very carefully, fresh tracks.

Hope that helps some.

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 09-17-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Scrub Buck

When looking at tracks notice the spacing of walking tracks. Big bucks usually have bigger hoof tracks but soft ground can give false info. Here in my area if you put your shoe between the hoof tracks you will usually touch each hoof track with each end of your track if it is a doe. A nice big buck will be about 1 1/2 your track between his hoof tracks(big bucks longer than does). Never here any body talking about this method but we have found this to be a good way to see where they travel. Good luck!