Arkansas Seed Ticks!!! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Scrub Buck

Default Arkansas Seed Ticks!!!

All, I'm new here and but this forum is awesome! I'm so glad I came across it!

We hunt on private property in NW Arkansas. Last weekend we went out to set up blinds and feeders. Apparently I got into a mess of seed ticks. They were so bad I had to go to the doctor. He told me I am "highly" allergic to them. He advised I not hunt or go to our propertly until after a hard freeze. Bow season is in 2 weeks! I can't wait that long to get out there! Any suggestions on what I can put on to assure I won't get bit so I can enjoy early fall bow season with out being miserable?!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 PM
B&C 160 Class

You can use Deet or Permone or both. You can help the situation by cutting your trails to stay out of the high weeds and change cloths as soon as you come out of the woods then bag and wash them.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:04 PM

Welcome to the DHC buddy, glad to have you here. You can use those tight fitting gaiter things or a head net. Other than that I have no idea on how to battle the ticks.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:31 PM
B&C 140 Class

this is what you need. best stuff on the market>>>>>For use on clothing, tents, and other gear, Sawyer Permethrin products not only repel insects, they actually kill ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, mites and more than 55 other kinds of insects on contact. The active ingredient, Permethrin, is a synthetic molecule similar to pyrethrum which is taken from the Chrysanthemum flower. When applied to clothing, Permethrin binds to the fabric eliminating the risk of over-exposure to the skin. Permethrin is odorless when dry, and will not stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or any of your outdoor gear. A single application lasts 6 washings. Always follow the Directions for Use on the package label.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:03 AM

hello and welcome. PA is full of ticks also. I use a product by Coulston products INC. It has 0.50% permethrin. Product says odorless. Spray only on clothing not for skin. I hate ticks!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 AM

Sawyer Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Spray is the most effective on ticks, chiggers, mites and mosquitos.
It's a treatment for clothing and gear NOT Skin.
Here's a link to buy it from a Veterans group...(VetFriends)

Old 08-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Scrub Buck

Thanks for all of your help guys! I will definately be buying Deet and Permethrin!!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:05 PM
B&C 100 Class

I worked in one of the worst tick areas in KY last summer and something that will help a good deal is if you duct-tape your pant bottoms to your boots and your shirt bottom to your pants. Add that with a little bit or permethrin and you are good to go.

I worked all summer and only had 4-5 ticks get on me.

There is a home remedy I have heard works for some people. Taking 1000mgs of garlic extract a day (bought at WalMart) some people report having less ticks bite them.

Sort of funny side note, there was a hippie guy doing research that was staying in the same bunkhouse as my friend and I. He laughed at and criticized us for using "harmful chemicals" becasue they would make you sick and said we looked stupid in our duct-tape. He used his natural stuff and caught a tick borne disease 1 week later! Hate he got sick but love the karma.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:47 PM

Even in early November in PA I usually get up to ten ticks crawling on me per day. These are the little guys with the red abdomens that can carry Lyme disease. I've only had to pull out two that had started to dig in for a feast. The problem was it was while I was sleeping. I get checked every two years for lyme disease. My buddy in PA got it last year. The doctor said he had gotten it several months prior to the discovery. He never got the bulseye rash. He was so sick he could barely walk and hurt everywhere. It took about 6 months before he felt much better. Lyme disease is nothing to pass off and I try to keep sprayed down especially my boots and pants.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:43 PM
B&C 100 Class

Hunting Man - the good thing about Lyme's disease is that it takes about 48 hours for the tick to pass it to you. Therefore if you check yourself everyday and do a thorough job, you should be in the clear.

Bad part is that there are tons of diseases carried by ticks and they are all similar in how they affect us. At least the same medication is used to treat 99% of them.