Deer Hunting Forums banner

Napping As A Hunting Strategy

3K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  tator 
#1 ·
How many of you enjoy napping in your stand as a hunting strategy? Usually a few days into the hunt a nap in my stand is the best thing ever. I'm in the woods "being one with nature" and a nice peaceful feeling comes over me. Which leads to a small nap.

#2 ·
ive killed more deer than i care to admit because the leaves shuffling woke me from a nap. i usually dont sleep on purpose, but when i hunt with friends, we sometimes find a nice sunny spot to sit and eat lunch together in the woods and doze off for 30 minutes or so. it is nice, but i hate waking up wondering what i missed.
lol

#4 ·
I will have to admit I have done my share of sleeping in the stand,and even more in the shoot house. I have fallen asleep and woke up with 4-5 deer in front of me. I got my biggest todate that way.Scared the crap out of me when I woke up and there he was perfect broadside at 25 yds and let the muzzy fly

#7 ·
I have gotten a few over the years after a nap. I think my snoring may be mistaken for a bucks grunt. If I am hunting hard for several days it is just too hard to be up all day. I hunt a morning stand then get my lunch and head to a box in the sun. I take lunch and nap before heading to evening stand to hunt.

#9 ·
This was not my strategy.Two friends and I were hunting turkeys on a wooded hillside.One hunter used the call and two of us spread out to watch.It was also a deer scouting trip in early November.I was sitting on the ground against a tree between two large tree roots facing downhill.A brushy area was 50 yards below me.The sun was warming the leaves as I slid down into a reclining position and dosed off.I awoke to see a spike buck following a doe out of the brush.They mated there and a bigger buck chased the spike away and chased the doe into the brush.Later a third buck followed another doe over the hill.My buddy returned to that spot in rifle season with his two teenage sons.One of them took his first buck there.A six point.

#10 ·
I think we have all fell asleep at some point in the stand. I dont do it on purpose but have woken before to the rustling leaves. Never have I woke to a wall hanger. Had a nice 6 right in front of me one time though.

For those folks that fidget and move their head like its on a swivel while while hunting probably stand a better chance at seeing deer! I dont recommend sleeping, just being still!

#11 ·
I do it all the time! haha but not for a long period of time. Heck, with two kids under 5, you nap whenever you can! When things get that quiet, sometimes it's hard to stay awake.

Nahh, I usually take a quick nap when I get in my stand first thing in the morning before daylight (until about a half-hour before sunup)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.