Deer Hunting Forums banner

tree stand vs ground hunting

27K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  timberghost 
#1 ·
ok just curious what the advantages are of both :coffee: its seems alot of people here like using tree stands whats wrong with being on the ground am i missing something??

#4 ·
I prefer a treestand anytime over a blind. I like to be high above and able to see long range, but more importantly just what Berk stated. I never used a blind of any type but maybe sometime I will. Don't get me wrong I'm not against blinds at all I just never gave it a shot.

#7 ·
i pick a stand as well, i like being "above" my game, i would say an advantage of a blind "wood blind" is that you always have a steady shot and dont have to worry about moving as much bc they cant see your body, or my favorite...a heater!!! lol. But i like stands bc you can go where a blind couldnt take you.

#8 ·
this is a topic right up there with what is the best gun/caliber.There are good arguments for both types of hunting.I've killed deer from the ground and from the tree.the whole your scent is up higher is BS if the wind changes.iv'e been in 25/30high stands when the wind changes your busted.The i can see more is true,so can the deer,they know to look up now.Like i said this debate will go forever long after were gone and the next generation is hunting deer.I'll leave all with this thought"did the american indiands use TMA approved treestands and expensive compound bows and scent loc suits?"They sure did kill a lot of deer though..................:unsure:

#12 ·
Not saying the Native Americans werent good hunters bc they were indeed. But there were also a heck of a lot more deer back then ya know?
It's always interesting to hear the stories from the elders in my community about the "old ways" of hunting and how the deer were viewed as majestic animals and known as "brothers" along with all animals who share the bounties of mother earth. I think it's safe to say that we (hunters and outdoorsman)still keep that tradition going as we enter their world.

#18 ·
ground vs stand

I started hunting 4 years ago and i have bagged some big bucks on the ground and in a stand. In a stand you can see a lot farther and your scent is off the ground. In a blind you have to hunt with the wind but inside you can move around a little more and in a stand your a little more visable i like both

#19 ·
I love my treestands,But Have never Killed a deer from one..it's always been on the ground just standing next to a tree or sitting in a blind I fix up if I'm out hunting in the afternoon...

Native Americans are like the best hunters...It's amazing to hear stories of how there grandfathers could get soo close to a deer and not even get noticed..

#21 ·
I shot a little buck last week from a ladderstand.It had a shooting rail which gave me a good steady rest for my rifle(daughter's hehehe)
I shook out some camo netting all the way around so if one did happen to look up all that was visible was my head.When I shot that deer he was about 40yds away and he ran right under my ladder after the shot.He never knew I was even there.Last year I shot one from the very same area from a pop-up ground blind.When I shot it several deer ran off from right beside the stand.I'll assume they didn't know I was there either.I only had the front window open.From my experience with both I would have to say I have more confidence in the ladder stand when set up properly.I have rarely seen deer look up at me unless I was either making noise or moving but I think when in uneven terrain you would want it on the higher ground.Mine is set up on a small hill in a little hardwood bottom.

#22 ·
Range and View

There are pros to both styles, but I have to say that I'm partial to treestands because you can see over many of the small rises in fields that ground blinds cannot. Your scent is higher and often your movements aren't noticed as quickly. However, this next year I am planning on purchasing a few ground blinds because I have several spots I would like to hunt more, but the area lacks any mature trees or cover from the elements of nature.

#23 ·
I go with the tree stands for bow hunting but ground for gun hunting. Scent should not be a problem if you take the necessary time to de-scent. We use a steam sauna in camp followed by any of the products on the market to kill human bacteria. I keep my clothes in plastic bags sprayed in scent shield and a couple of little pine boughs. I spray down everytime prior to entering the woods. Deer do not scent me using this process. I change to clean clothes every two days. I can't remember the last time I was scented, it's been years. I know not everyone has the use of a steam sauna but I know it works to cleanse you from the inside out. Good luck hunting!

G
#25 ·
Let me put this myth to rest

Your scent is made up of your skin cells that are falling off of you by the millions. They are called rafts that look like cornflakes except the size of a cell. You are completely surounded by these cells at all times whether you are sitting standing or taking a shower. Now let me give you an example. take some confetti and stand under your stand and drop it, what happens? The confetti will catch some air and fall within a few feet. Now take another handful of confetti and climb into your stand and drop another hand full. What happens? Thats right the confetti catches more wind and spreads out a few yards instead of feet. Well your scent is made up of cells which are thousands of times smaller then a piece of confetti. the more wind they catch the further out they will go. No not all your cells will just fly out of the area just like not every piece of confetti flew out of the area. These cells are falling everywhere and riding the wind currents all around you. I read about this stuff from some dude on some site it was really mind blowing.

#29 ·
advantages tree stand
1. elevation tends to put you out of general line of vision from your quarry.
2. although it has been mentioned that it aids in scent control, that should not be a substitute for utilizing proper pre-hunt scent control. you should be as near scent free as possible before ascending to your hunt position. however, a tree stand dose exactly that. scent 20' above ground will tend to stay aloft longer than scent from ground level.
3. allow you to shoot from a standing position, which is the most common position that you practice from.(you should practice shooting multiple positions and scenarios to maintain the NOTHING NEW aspect)
4. can be set up and utilized effectively immediately.

disadvantages of tree stands
1. you are subjected to the environmental conditions.
2. although elevated, movement must be monitored and kept to an undetectable minimum.
3. location changes are generally time consuming and involved.
4. your scent, sound and movements are exposed.

advantages to ground blind.
1. scent, sound and vision concealed.
2. quick to set up and get in and out of.
3. protection from the elements.
4. easily transported to and from location.

disadvantages of ground blinds
1. even when properly set up (brushed in) they are visible to deer. and because of this, should be set up weeks in advance to hunting from them to allow the deer to become accustomed to seeing them as no threat.
2. limited visibility.
3. shooting must be done from kneeling or sitting position in most blinds.

there are different times that each method of concealment has its advantages over the other. my recommendation is to , not limit yourself. I have several hang on stands and a climber, 2 ground blinds and a ladder stand. the climber has several advantaged over the hang on style at the same time it has as many disadvantages. I also have 2 ground blinds that because of the disadvantages mentioned, I have abandoned their use and picked up a new ladder stand. the ladder stand I feel will bridge the gaps between the hang on/climber and the ground blinds.

#30 ·
great post predator! i totally agree with you. I don't subject myself to just a ground blind or just a tree stand. I have 2 ladder stands, one climber, and 2 ground blinds- i also have one place that i sit on the ground because of the cover and the location is perfect to just sit. I don't ever bow hunt while on the ground. In my case, it would be next to impossible where i hunt. BUT for some people, it would work. I think it just comes to down to what you prefer and what your land/hunting area is like. This weekend in MISSOURI we start our annual rifle season. I'll be in 2 blinds that day, but in different locations. I'm going to hunt one blind in the morning, the other blind spot in the EARLY afternoon, and the ground spot in the evening. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.