Deer Hunting Forums banner

Hunting on Guam

45K views 53 replies 16 participants last post by  Thomas Ewing 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello. My name is Joe. I am from Guam. For all of you that have never heard of Guam, it is a small island in the Marianas(pacific).
I have been hunting since I was young probably around 10.
When you hear small island you don't think of deer but yes we have a species of deer here.
I beleive they are sanbar deer but some people call them Phillipine deer They can get pretty big. We also have wild pigs.
They were both introduced many many years ago. The jungles of Guam can be very dense.
Guams terrain consists of steep river ravines, swamps,tall grass(we call sword grass for a good reason)and mountains.
The method I use to call deer is called Bibek. Bibek is the sound that Guam's deer make.It is similar to a cow elk.
I consider myself to be a master at this. I find a good place to sit depending on wind and other things, and start bibek'ing.
This does not always work as all hunters know. But I have been pretty lucky with this method.Here are some pics of some of the bigger deer i've killed.

Hope you guys enjoy.

See less See more
#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
yesterdays hunting trip

I went hunting yesterday with no luck but I figured I would show you guys the type of terrain we hunt in over here. I usually guage the difficulty of a hunt on a scale from 1 to 5 and i consider this hunt to be about a 4.
I have taken some big boys out of this place and the walk back out with a load of deer meat will deffinately seperate a boy from a man..

#41 ·
Been a while

Hey guys it's been a while since I've visited here.Ive been wrenching on my trucks but I'm back now.Here's a nice fish I caught a couple weeks ago.It's a Mamulan or Giant Trevally.
No recent deer pics season ended and I'm just waiting to get back out there.

#45 ·
Mamulan

Hey guys,yes these are good to eat although this guy was pretty tough due to his old age I imagine.This is the biggest fish I have speared so far. Normally I would not shoot really large fish because they can bend spears or run away with the spear and gun.This has happened to me before.Oh and by the way they can also drown you!!If I was to get wrapped up in the line from this fish he could easily pull me down.But when I saw him I just could not resist.

#47 ·
Primo Joe,

I can totally relate to your style, hunting grounds, and experience. For twenty-eight years, I hunted Mt. Lam -Lam and have very similar stories about the deer in the south. I use a Remington 7400 in 270 cal, topped off with a 4X12X40 mm Nikon. Most shots are from 100-200 yards. However; I have taken shots out to 300-425 yards with success. Taken a lot of deer up there and know very well about the hours it takes to the carry deer out. My longest hunting trip started at 9:00 AM and finished at 1:00 AM early next morning. We caught a giant 240lbs dinga dos.

The bibik is everything. When properly used; it makes the difference between meat or no meat in the fridge. This is where most hunters who do bibik get taken to school. I learned to bibik from my Paree, Stanley Santos, whom I consider to be one of the best in this field. I say this due to the many, many deer; and the multiple 200 pounders plus he shot(Got pictures to prove it too).

When it comes to the bibik; I absolutely love the dollar bill! Many awesome hunts ended with deer feet facing the sky...you know what I mean. By the way, I also use another call I invented for the big boys(No one else has it that I know of). Shot most of my biggest deer using this revolutionary call...deadly and effective!

Good job Joe, keep those pics coming.

Just me,
Lv2hunt

#51 ·
Balanos

Sorry so late chelu.There are a couple of ways to get there.The first way requires a truck starting from DANDAN and thats a long rough one so the other 2 are either you start from Geus valley in Malesso or you can climb up Mt Lam Lam and walk all the way there either way its a pretty hard hike.If you want to try out that AR PM me and we can talk about it.

Shoots
Joe

#53 ·
Hey folks im arriving in guam in about ten days, going to be stationed on the Emory S Land for about 3 years. Looking to do as much hunting and fishing as possible while I'm there. Know a good place to start? Seems this thread is pretty old, hoping to restart it! If any of yall are still there or recently left and have insight into the process there let me know! Thanks.I Plan on having my savage 20ga slug gun, and beretta 12ga bird gun shipped there

#54 ·
Hello. My name is Joe. I am from Guam. For all of you that have never heard of Guam, it is a small island in the Marianas(pacific).
I have been hunting since I was young probably around 10.
When you hear small island you don't think of deer but yes we have a species of deer here.
I beleive they are sanbar deer but some people call them Phillipine deer They can get pretty big. We also have wild pigs.
They were both introduced many many years ago. The jungles of Guam can be very dense.
Guams terrain consists of steep river ravines, swamps,tall grass(we call sword grass for a good reason)and mountains.
The method I use to call deer is called Bibek. Bibek is the sound that Guam's deer make.It is similar to a cow elk.
I consider myself to be a master at this. I find a good place to sit depending on wind and other things, and start bibek'ing.
This does not always work as all hunters know. But I have been pretty lucky with this method.Here are some pics of some of the bigger deer i've killed.

Hope you guys enjoy.
Hi Joe I'm here in Guam for 3 months and would love to go hunting/fishing while I'm here is this possible being that I do not have a local ID?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.