First time hunting. - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Scrub Buck

Default First time hunting.

Hello all,

I would like this to be my first time out hunting and I am from Hilton New York. I have had my hunting license for about 10 year's now with no where to hunt. I have seen quite a few deer while try to hunt on state land but every time I have lined up the shot it was wrecked by someone else shooting there deer that they saw. But you cannot get mad at them getting one. I have always had the interest to hunt but growing up my parents always told me gun's where bad, Come to find out they where wrong and it is only people that are bad. I want to learn how to hunt so I can also get my kids in to it when they are old enough for it. If you have any tip that might help me become a better hunter please let me know. I hunt with a mossberg maverick 88 and I am 30 year's old. Best luck to all and happy hunting :)

Last edited by Bwittmer; 08-07-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to add where I was from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 PM
B&C 140 Class

take a hunter ed class and find someone that already has experiance that will take you along and show you the ropes,and teach ya right from wrong hunting technecies.Good luck and hope ya get a good'un. I was self taught myself. My dad did teach me gun safety,but only took me dove hunting.A friend of mines dad took us deer hunting when we were teens and after that just talked with other hunters and learned from doing what not to do.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Scrub Buck

Awesome advice from Hellbilly. Definitely get in touch with your Wildlife Management department (or department closely related to hunting laws and regulations) and find a Hunter's Safety Course before you head into the woods. Take your kids, too! No matter what age, everyone should take this course. I took the course when I was 22 and there were 6 year-olds in there with their fathers. State land always seems to be way too overcrowded. Look around in the classifieds in the newspaper or at your local sporting goods store and see if there are any hunt clubs that are looking for new members. Might be a bit costly, but its better than hunting crowded public land. Also, talk to your coworkers and friends to see if any of them need some deer management on their land (especially if deer are destroying gardens or flowerbeds). Good luck!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 PM

Welcome to the DHC buddy. From one NY'er to another.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Scrub Buck

Thank you all for the advice. I did the hunter safety course a few year's ago. I am looking for some land in the paper's now so thank you for that tip. And thank you for the welcome.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Scrub Buck

I got into hunting on my own as well. My parents had no iterest. I am what you might call obsessed however. I learned everything I know by simply asking... whenever I met a fellow hunter at a gas station or in the field or anywhere. I would talk to them and listen to their experiences and ideas and try them. I also learned a lot by my mistakes and just spending A LOT of time in the woods. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwittmer View Post
Hello all,

I would like this to be my first time out hunting and I am from Hilton New York. I have had my hunting license for about 10 year's now with no where to hunt. I have seen quite a few deer while try to hunt on state land but every time I have lined up the shot it was wrecked by someone else shooting there deer that they saw. But you cannot get mad at them getting one. I have always had the interest to hunt but growing up my parents always told me gun's where bad, Come to find out they where wrong and it is only people that are bad. I want to learn how to hunt so I can also get my kids in to it when they are old enough for it. If you have any tip that might help me become a better hunter please let me know. I hunt with a mossberg maverick 88 and I am 30 year's old. Best luck to all and happy hunting :)
So, your hunting with a shotgun slug?
Old 09-26-2012, 06:10 PM
B&C 160 Class

Welcome to the Club