handycap deerstand - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Scrub Buck

Default handycap deerstand

I had a cousin who was limited to oxygen in his last years.he was a vet and had gotten a dose of agent orange in Nam he loved to hunt and fish but could not hold up to walking,we talked him into getting a kawasiki mule to get around on.I built him a hoist to pick deer up and load thim into the back via electric winch,it worked great! I also built him a nice shooting house on my place with a stair case,battery powered lights,urnal,heater,hoist and even a care port underneith to park his mule in. we would always set a large oxygen bottle so he could stay for as long as he liked.this was all fine and good for a gun or smoke pole but not for a bow.he could not climb a ladder to get into a stand so one day I came up with the idea of an elevator.we took a store bought 15' two man stand added another pice of tubeing to the backside of the side rails made a open front box type platform and with the weels off of a skateboard for guide rollers a 12volt atv winch to raise it with we had a lift that he could bow hunt out of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 10:51 PM
B&C 180 Class

cool idea .glad to hear you helped a vetern out.I would think i hijack hoist,like the kind used for ac units,that you hand crank would also work
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 11-10-2007, 09:48 AM

sweet idea. thats cool being able to help out an elderly vet like that. some creative thinking on your part too.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:21 PM

You are definitely a great person to help your cousin enjoy the outdoors. Masterful creativity at it's best. My old man and my uncle are both vets of the Marine Corp. Vietnam era and to hear the things that all vets have been through makes one appreciate who they have. They are truly appreciated. Tell your cousin "Thank You from NY".
Old 11-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Scrub Buck

I take it some of you are vets Ithank all of you for standing in my stead I am too young for nam too old for desert storm my hats off to you
would love to tell ol'cuz hello but he past on in March of 05 sure miss him
Old 11-16-2007, 09:08 PM
Scrub Buck

Great idea. It feels good to be able to help one out. Especially when it is a direct result of your ingenuity.

I think you could carve out a nice little niche for yourself if you wanted to pursue that as a business. I'm pretty sure there are organizations out there that help those that are handicapped with pursuing their passion for hunting.
"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind." Author, Jim Slinsky