Deer Hunting Forums banner

Doe or Yearling?

14K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ridgerunnermike 
#1 ·
i go on a hunt in south texas every year :w00t: . and this year i'll be hunting alone. we are only allowed to shoot MATURE DOES. How can you tell the difference between a mature doe and a yearling??? because im not sure how...:sadbanana:

#3 ·
It sounds like you'll be hunting with an outfitter/Ranch so if thats the case you'll have to find out how "Mature" is being defined in their rules/regulations.

Generally speaking a Doe matures at 1 year old. (In appearance) it's basically only a size difference between a yearling and a mature Doe.
(photo below shows both a yearling and a mature Doe)

#4 ·
If she has a lot of fat on her belly, and a mommy-pouch there, that is one sign. The yearlings of both gender are normally scrawny looking and not worth shooting anyway.

Personally I don't hunt doe's at all. Unless there is really an overabundance of deer, I prefer not to cull the doe herd. Since 90% of the bucks do not breed anyway, these are the best to cull by hunting.

Doe's produce the next generation of fawns, and half of them will be bucks, so I prefer to leave the doe's alone and let them reproduce.

#5 ·
youll know the difference once you see a few deer. a young does legs will be long in comparison to its body and its neck a bit short. i would say that with the abundance of deer in that country, there will be enough animals in view throughout the course of the day that your decision will be much less difficult and your judgement much better than you think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.