Deer Hunting Forums banner

skullcap

6K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  burgerking 
#1 ·
What is the proper way to cut the skullcap off a buck?

#5 ·
No! I just wanted to cut the skull :nerd::nerd: and see whats
in there :wacko::wacko: L.O.L. Yea that's what i was talking about and thank's for the info Burgerking I'm thinking i'm going to get my first buck this year and i don't know if i'll be able to aford to mount the head .

#4 ·
yea, i just cut the back part of it kinda on an angle, depends on what angle you want the antlers to sit at on the plack. or whatever. should only take two cuts. One from the front straight back, then one from behind the rack down to where you ended the first cut.

#6 ·
Have you ever heard of a European Skull Mount? This is a sample of what it looks like >> SAMPLE <<--Click to see
If anyone is interested in trying it, I'll post some instructions on how to do it.

#7 ·
I do the euro method too .Its way cheaper:wink:But to answer the original question,USE A SAW:whistling::surprised::biggrin:

#11 · (Edited)
[If you use Bleach, use no more than a 1/8 cup, Bleach can compromise bone.
It would be better to use Peroxide as well as the bleach, Peroxide cost a little more but it's safer on the bone..
I will be posting complete instructions SOON please bear with me, it's hunting season.. LOL :wink:

#12 ·
boil yes bleach NO..Everyone has heard of bleaching a skull what that means is leaving a skull out in the sun year round ,think steer skull in the desert.To make a skull white ,assuming you have picked ,cut and boiled off all the meat,including eyeballs and brains,pause im eating a sandwich right now.ok so you've boiled all the meat off (do it outside and dont use your wifes good stew pot)take the skull and put it back in the pot fill 2/3rds of the way with water the other1/3 with peroxide let it cooktake out of pot put in sun ,bingo "bleached skull.right now i got one cooking but i really prefer the bug method....to be told later,like i said im eating

#13 ·
i have always used bleach and have never had a problem with it. It has never ate the skull or made it fragile or anything. Like bruce said i dont use much. And peroxide is more expensive i hear. I just use bleach.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.