Deer Hunting Forums banner

First time Scent User

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BruceBruce1959 
#1 ·
Hi everybody, I am new to the Deer Hunters Club. You all have something great going on here. Anyway I am looking for some help. I have been hunting Whitetail deer in Illinois for the past 10 years and have never used any type of attractant. So I was wondering what do you all recommend, and how do you go about using it. Just a little info, the season for shotgun in Illinois starts on Nov 16, and I have pulled an anterless only tag. Then again on Nov 29 I will go again but have an either sex permit. Any help would be great

#2 ·
Wekcome to the site. Greetings from Western New York. If your rut is about to start right around now or whenever you could use dominant buck lure with tarsal gland and doe estrous. You really can't go wrong with that. There are food scened lures as well. Acorn, Corn, and Apple scent works well anytime, pretty much anywhere regardless if it's regularly in the area. I like to use the food lures after rutting activity fizzles. Hope this info helps you out a little. GOOD LUCK.

#3 ·
keep it simple.leave the scents and calls alone and just hunt.Right now everyone is using that stuff and the deer are hip to it.Stay still and quiet you'll be amazed at what you see.Good luck to ya.:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.