Newbie in AZ - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:31 PM

First thing is if you haven't taken a hunter's safety I'd start there and your state may require it to purchase your hunting license. Getting to the shooting range to get a good feel for your rifle and what ammo it likes is very important. I'd also try to find a local mentor to help you in the field. Read every thing you can on hunting and apply it each and every time. Game will teach you by watching them and how they react to their surroundings. Spend some computer time and read our past posts there's a wealth of info there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Scrub Buck

I'll double check on Hunter's Safety course. I took the rifle out to zero it in, but only got 20 rounds through it. I had an ejector failure which I need to fix. Once I have the scope adjusted I can check different ammo. I will need to handload for it because I want to get more practice than I can really afford using factory ammo. Guys I work with will help out and one of them will hunt with me this year as long as neither of us is travelling for work.

Any opinions on a good book or a magazine to check out?

I'll probably buy a knife for field dressing before anything else since I like knives anyway but there are a lot of choices out there.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:45 PM
B&C 140 Class

I bought my rifle, a Savage .270.

What model Savage??? I have two Model 110's - one lefty, one righty - for each of my sons. I shot the lefty model this past season using Remington Core-Lokt's in 150 grain. It seems that the rifle likes the 150's better than the 130's. (or this one does, anyway) You'll have to get yours out on the range to see which round (and brand) your rifle likes best.

And for giggles and grins, I use a Buck 119 for dressing. It's served me well over the years. Simple, straight forward, easy to keep sharp.

RR
Old 04-19-2012, 07:50 PM
B&C 140 Class

OH, BTW, forgot to add . . . welcome from Texas! (although I'm sitting in NC as I type this)

RR