Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   Sons first youth hunt...... (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/9418-sons-first-youth-hunt.html)

C_Carr316 03-28-2012 07:28 AM

Sons first youth hunt......

We video'd my sons first youth hunt, thought you guys would appreciate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb1u4hnxKSk

Thanks

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

BruceBruce1959 03-28-2012 08:05 AM

Congratulatins to Dad & Son!!! Thank you for sharing this awesome video with us. :thumbup:

C_Carr316 03-29-2012 06:54 PM

thanks - love the deer anatomy - was just showing my son, he loves it.

Hellbilly 03-29-2012 07:49 PM

awsome, Im waiting on my grand daughter to get old enough to go with papa

on_the_fly 03-29-2012 09:37 PM

First this is an awesomely done video ! Now I hate to be one to point out but this is what I was just talking about in my post. About people using youth to hunt, the boy in the video even said "my dad missed that one"and the whole thing is suppose to be a youth hunt.
Now don't get me wrong I feel it's great to take youth hunting but if they are unable to hunt their self, this video should had been in the regular adult season and not an adult taking advantage of a youth preseason. Just my opinion, but still a greatly done video, and great early experance for that realy young man.

Hunting Man 03-29-2012 10:09 PM

I don't understand, it's a youth hunt, but dad is taking the shots??? I'd call that a law violation and maybe not a good video to put across the air waves. I endorse youth mentoring 100% not breaking the law!

C_Carr316 04-29-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunting Man (Post 68880)
I don't understand, it's a youth hunt, but dad is taking the shots??? I'd call that a law violation and maybe not a good video to put across the air waves. I endorse youth mentoring 100% not breaking the law!

As shown in the video, we practiced shooting with him on my lap and he would take the shot. When we missed, he blamed me. He had just turned 5 and was hard for him to do himself. This hunt was done during the regular season, not the youth season.

onehorse 04-29-2012 07:28 PM

I'm not trying to be critical, but I simply don't understand what this is. First of all, can a 5 year legaly hunt in that state? It's not clear to me who actually shot the deer. Did dad use his tag, or did the boy have a tag? The video is very nice, but some explanation of what this is, other than "son's first youth hunt", would be appreciated.

tomlightfield 04-30-2012 05:36 AM

Great video Chris, and I would like to commend you for taking the time and effort to introduce your young boy to the outdoors, as we have many members here at DHC who also put forth the time and effort with their kids as well. Yes, in Pennsylvania it is totally legal for a 5 year old to deer hunt under their "Mentored Youth Program". The program is for kids UNDER the age of 12. Kids from the ages of 12 through 16 are called Junior License Holders and the designated Youth Hunts are for them. As Chris said, this hunt occurred during the general archery season. Yes, the youngster has his or her own tag, they cost $2.70, this is the tag they were buying in the video(I assume). The mentor also has to have the appropriate license/tags for the species being hunted. Only one weapon legal for that species may be brought on the hunt. Previous to 2011 only antlered deer were legal under the program, but the Pa. Game Commission changed that before the 2011 deer season to include antlerless deer too. Hope this helps clear up the confusion. Once again Chris, great job, keep it up. The future of hunting lies with these youngsters.

Hunting Man 04-30-2012 11:43 AM

TLF, good post! However, I still highly question the legality of the actual shooting, who pulled the trigger? Taking a five year old out hunting means several years of teaching on all aspects of the hunt. They are taught to be patient, learn how to shoot, learn some of the game habbits, learn when to shoot. My son was eight when he started all the above and then was allowed to carry when he was 12. I endorse highly, taking kids out and teaching them the great outdoors and all the responsibilities that go hand in hand with that responsibility but a five year old sitting in his Dad's lap and the Dad probably pulling the trigger! It's not not my idea of responsible teaching, I may be missing something here but from what I see gives me bad vibes. I am certainly not trying to make something out of a molehill here just giving my 2 cents worth. Hopefully the child grows up to be a great woodsman!