Sons first youth hunt...... - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 AM
B&C 120 Class

Yeah, I would once again have to agree with a lot of what you're saying HM. I totally understand your position and the valid point you are trying to convey. My old buddy and I started taking his son with us in South Illinois when he was 7 or 8, finally let him carry and shoot his own gun at 12, but ONLY with one of us supervising. He's 45 now and by far is the most successful deer hunter I know. He should be on TV. Then came his son, same deal, no gun 'til he hit 12. This young man is now 20 or 21 and is also a very skilled deer hunter as well as a prolific college trap shooter. But anyway I still give Chris much credit and I'll leave the actual trigger pull issue alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 PM
B&C 140 Class

weather it was a youth hunt or during regular season,and who pulled the trigger is between him and his conscience. Other than that wish somebody would have takin me when I was 5 and started my learning process then,instead of having to wait till I could do it on my own and have to teach myself.Great thing taking your son.Dont let the negative nellies get to ya. Start'em young and teach'em right. safely and respectfully to the animals he hunts and the woods he hunts in
Old 05-02-2012, 11:46 PM

TLF, my son is now in his mid 20's and is probably better than I was at his age. As I said, I highly endorse taking kids hunting and fishing. I think we all agree on that.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 AM
B&C 120 Class

I agree HM, it is imperative that kids be introduced to the outdoor world, without them the future of hunting as we know it will be in dire straits. HBilly, I'm with you, I wish someone would have taken me when I was a kid too, my dad died when I was 16 and didn't hunt. So at 16 I bought my first shotgun, an old beat to death Stevens 12 ga. side by side with a bubble in the left hand barrel(amazing I can remember that, but have trouble finding my way home) and went pheasant huntin' with my buddies. We had to teach ourselves too, like you. But it worked out, like the back of my latest T-shirt says"I spent most of my money on beer and huntin'stuff, the rest I just wasted!!"
Old 06-09-2012, 04:32 PM
B&C 100 Class

very well done. i personally dont care if the dad did pull the trigger. that kid was as fired up as anything. i wish id had a dad to take me hunting at a younger age. the legality of the hunt is nothing in this situation. that kid went hunting. he wanted to go hunting. and just as important, he wanted to harvest that deer. i think 5 is certainly the youngest age i would allow my children to do this, but thats the parents decision ultimately. congrats to the boy on a great first kill and congrats to dad for helping make a memory that will last forever with the two of you. now if i can just get a good bowkill on video..