Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   deer scrapes (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/937-deer-scrapes.html)

dreamhunter 11-05-2007 09:42 AM

deer scrapes

Hi,
I have been hunting white tail deer and moose for about 10 years now. I have a question about scrapes. I am under the assumption that more than one buck will tend to the same scrape as long as a doe is using it. Is this true?

buckfever 11-05-2007 09:53 AM

very much true....

and when a buck first makes a scrape the area may be visited by another buck or 2 before a doe ever even urinates in it.

BruceBruce1959 11-05-2007 11:00 AM

Absolutely True... I can't begin to try and explain all I've seen involving Scrapes,, in all my 34 years of hunting , what I can say is,,, when you find them, Hunt them... In my Opinion scrapes are the Hottest spots to hunt....
just keep a good safe distance from them and monitor them as much as possible...
Good luck to you!!!

Inatizzy 11-05-2007 11:20 AM

Lots of different bucks will use the same scrape. It's kind of a community toilet.When you see one.....pee in it and keep it fresh.....then hunt right above it.

critter gitter 11-05-2007 05:22 PM

Yup, it's true.

Inatizzy 11-05-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by critter gitter (Post 5182)
Yup, it's true.

Kyle.....when did you move to Wisconsin??

BruceBruce1959 11-06-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inatizzy (Post 5159)
Lots of different bucks will use the same scrape. It's kind of a community toilet.When you see one.....pee in it and keep it fresh.....then hunt right above it.

I don't think pee'ing in a scrape or hunting right above it is good advice at all.

That would kinda be like the DEA sitting on the front porch waiting for the drug dealers to get back home, I don't think that plan would get the bad guys..

No I think it's better to leave the scrape alone and just watch of it from an area where you can keep good tabs on it... staying back away from the scrape increases the odds in the hunters favor... GOOD LUCK

burgerking 11-06-2007 02:01 PM

i have heard that all mammals urine is pretty much the same. Not sure if its true though. I wouldnt pee on it either. Just watch it.

Inatizzy 11-06-2007 02:34 PM

Peeing in a scrape will hurt nothing. I'm surprised you guys haven't heard of nor done this. Human pee does not spook deer. Kinda like smoke :)I was kidding, of course, about hunting right above it. What you really want to do is pull up a lawnchair right along side of it and wait.

BruceBruce1959 11-06-2007 03:15 PM

I'm trying to help young hunters here with hunting tips and advice.
For the Record, I don't think human urine is alarming to Deer BUT why risk the hunt of a young hunter by offering risky advice?
SO,, I'll just say, it's safer to leave the scape alone and NOT pee in it..
Now don't you agree this is the safer advice to offer?