Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   Sticking to the same spot (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/9367-sticking-same-spot.html)

CHugh 03-12-2012 03:28 PM

Sticking to the same spot

I'm a Fl Boy and have hunted everything from deer to wild hog in Fl. I'm currently in NC and succesfully harvested two bucks this past season (bow hunting), no problem there. I've hunted for the past three years(rifle) in Wv on some family property and my grandpa always has me go to the same permenant stand, his stand. He hasn't hunted in the past 5 years but always goes to hang out and have a good time. I like the stand because it has gotten me a harvest every year but it seems kinda cheap because the bucks are coming in for the does that are eating the corn. We've always gone around the property to see the scrapes and rubs and other relatives hunting spots. This past year we went out to a part of the property where no one has really hunted in the past 6 or 7 years. Main reason is that it takes about 45 minutes to get out there on a 4-wheeler, when all the other spots are within 10-20 minutes. We went out to that part of the property and I saw more scrapes and rubs on/under large trees than I had ever saw in my 23 year life.

This past season I shot a 5 point buck that was probably 7 or 8 years old we guessed from the molars and the battle scars on his head.

I don't mind sitting in a permenant house like stand shooting 6 pointers:wub: but I want to get out and work for it:boxing::ph34r:. I REALLY want to set up out on the other side of the propertuy next season, should I do it or should I stick with the same stand?

timberghost 03-12-2012 09:05 PM

Hey CHugh, welcome to the DHC. Never hurts to check out other hunting spote around the property.

BruceBruce1959 03-13-2012 07:49 AM

Greetings CHugh, welcome to the club. It never hurts to spread out into other areas
you never know what may happen in those other locations but you'll always have the ability to return to your regular stand if things arent working out in the new areas.
Good Luck

on_the_fly 03-13-2012 09:54 AM

agree two or three spots works great, then you can play wind and weather to the best spot to hunt at that time and not be stuck to one location.

tomlightfield 03-13-2012 11:47 AM

Welcome to the club!! My motto is "Leave no stone unturned". Like on the fly said, then you can play the wind a little bit too. I have 5 different stands around an 80 acre field, and they are all productive at one time or another, depending on the wind direction, how hard it is blowing on some days, raining or not, I've got pretty much every scenario covered. My point is defenitely try the new turf, stick a nice metal ladderstand up there before season and leave it all season. My 2 cents.

Hunting Man 03-13-2012 03:59 PM

Hello and welcome to the site. I agree with all the above. One thing I try to do during the rut is locate scrape lines comming out of thick bedding areas and if you can find a natural squeeze point you have a great rut hunt area. A fence line, gully, long point in the woods, stream can all be a squeeze travel area. Scrapes and rub lines, man you have it all. Pick a good advantage spot hopefully some type of elevated stand giving you good back drop coverage and shooting lanes. Watch the wind and good luck this fall.

spiker 03-13-2012 04:52 PM

Buy a climber and go explore. Sit different spots find the right one then put up a permanent stand.

buckfever 03-13-2012 05:02 PM

Im like every response above. Move around. See what other bucks you can find. I like hunting ground that other hunters very rarely step foot in.

rdrader2002 03-15-2012 06:37 PM

Can't really say much that hasn't already been said.

Welcome to DHC from Central Texas and hope you find YOUR spot to hunt from.

RR

Huntanglergirl 03-20-2012 09:11 PM

same as all of the above, just put my new sweetspot in this past week and theres more scrapes and rubs in it and on the trail i cut into it than any other spot ive seen on our lease, its got me pumped for this coming season thats for sure, even found and old shed right in my trail that i was pushn through to the new spot! anyways trail cams up and getn a running count of how much deer are movin through there. Get out there and get you your sweet spot it only adds to your hunting experience :)