Deer Hunting Forums banner

picking out trail cam

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Win73 
#1 ·
i was looking at buying a trail cam and was seeing what you guys suggested.... was looking at the cuddeback attack ir...

#2 ·
Several years ago I was in your boat about getting a camera and bought a Cuddeback Capture on a friend's recommendation, it didn't even make a full deer season. I'm not saying they are all bad just 'cause I happened to get a lemon, but Tator steered me to a Moultrie M80, a new model, and I love this little cam. Talk to him and GF Deputy, between those two guys they've got more than several Moultrie cams. I bought mine from a lady on Ebay for $100 shipped to my doorstep. If they don't respond to your post here just send them a personal message, I'm sure they both would be happy to help.

#3 ·
Never bought a cuddyback but have heard good & bad things about them
I can say my D55Irs by Moutrie have beeen great it has been out since last March & have had almost no issues only problem I had is when it gets really cold like 0 degrees & under sometimes it does not reconize the Sd card but I usually don't leave them out to longer after hunting season ends but I wanted to really stess the camera to see what it will take battery life is awsome changed batteries once since it has been out & second set still at just under 50% daytime pics are very nice & crisp
night time could be better but still good ( little grainy ) my opinion for the price of the Moutries you cant beat them DO NOT buy any wildgame innovations cammeras you will be sorry

here are a couple pics from one of my cameras

#7 ·
thanks ...how much will one of the d55ir or m80 cost...?
and if i do decide to get a cuddeback or moultrie do i want IR or flash?
D55IR are as low as $70.00 on Ebay M80 are as low as $110 both are new, Buy it now & free shipping
I have both Ir & Flash I prefer IR but have not seemed to spook deer with the flash either

im looking up the d55ir and it says 50ft of flash ...now does that mean you can switch between flash and Ir and is it sd card memory or photo strip
No they can not switch back & fourth there are two models of the D55 one is flash the other is the D55IR inferred
inferred is still considered the flash

#12 ·
now it says sd card memory and easy to read photo strip ...does that mean you have to put film in or do the pics come on the sd card
As Kanasdoe stated they must use an SD card they do not have onboard memory the Quote"film strip" they refer to is the information stamp on the bottom of the pictures temp, moon phase, date, time & camera name (you name it whatever you want in the setup menue

#13 ·
m1g-
WELCOME to the site! Like GFD and Kansasdoe have said, Moultrie is the way to go. I personally have not ever purchased a cuddeback, but don't want to spend the money on one either. I have had Primos Truth cams before- they are junk as well- can't handle the summer heat (and I'm assuming they can't handle the winter's cold).

As GFD said, the D55 is offered in flash and IR (infrared). The "flash" they are talking about is the basically the amount of feet away that will be visible when the camera takes a pic at night. The strobe flash of the non-infrared camera is what we usually deem as a FLASH, because it actually flashes like a strob-light.

I'm not sure they even MAKE 7mm cameras anymore. The D55 and M80 are both SD card cameras. I'm not sure what they mean by film strip??? But rest assured, they are not Film cameras. I personally recommend the M80, but it looks like you already bought the D55- which is a great choice too. The M80 takes a little more clearer pics than the D55ir and it has a slightly faster trigger time too.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions let us know!

P.S. GFD--- I keep my cams out all year long. And Missouri has temps that reach 110 in the summer and below 0 in the winter! They keep on kicking!

#14 ·
m1g-
P.S. GFD--- I keep my cams out all year long. And Missouri has temps that reach 110 in the summer and below 0 in the winter! They keep on kicking!
Tator we have had a very mild winter here this year I would say we have less then 3" on the ground & we have averaged high 30's in temp going to be close to 50 today but we did have a stretch in Dec with neg. temps I was surprised to see them still working cound't keep the WGI cams working in normal temps
picking up another cam this weekend with the prices I have seen on ebay I may just get one more D55IR before they are no longer available

#15 ·
I have four Moultries, two IR and two flash.

I also want to brag about Moultrie's customer service. I had a Moultrie that the flash quit firing. The camera would still trip but at night I would just get a black picture. The warranty was one year but the camera was a year and a half old. I sent it in to Moultrie for repair. They sent me a new camera at no charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.