Deer Hunting Forums banner

I haven't had a very good deer season.....

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  spiker 
#1 · (Edited)
.....until this Thursday.

I never even squeezed the trigger during Pennsylvania's regular firearms season.

It's now Pennsylvania's flintlock season.
I found a spot in the woods for the afternoon sit. At about 3:25, I saw movement out in front of me up thru some hemlock bottoms. It was traveling from left to right. Then it turned toward me. When it came out of the hemlocks I could see that it was a doe. I had two doe tags to fill, so I waited until she was about 15 yards away & I squeezed the trigger. She bounded once to the left & then cart-wheeled back to the right where she went down in a heap. I stood up, reloaded and checked the time. It was 3:31..... Plenty of legal hunting time left yet & I still had a buck tag & another doe tag left, so I sat back down. Several minutes later, I saw movement up in the hemlock bottoms again. Another deer was coming. This time, when it cleared the hemlocks, I saw antlers. The buck started toward me like the doe had, but then he turned to my right. He was going around me at about 40 yards out. I made a noise to stop him. He paused, but not long enough for me to get a shot off. I made the noise again & he stopped again. This time I was able to make the shot. The buck turned & started trotting away. I thought that I had missed. Then he stumbled & disappeared in the distance. I reloaded & went to look for sign of a hit. It didn't take long to find a good blood trail. I cautiously followed the blood trail, half expecting to jump him up. About 60 to 70 yards later, I found the buck piled up between two down trees.

I got in a hurry to get both deer gutted & out to the truck before dark & didn't even think to get a pic with my gun in it or with both deer together. I wish that I had.

Two deer down in ten minutes. I Had a Good Day Thursday. I'm happy!

See less See more
#4 ·
Congrats. Sounds like a pretty special day!! My last chance to fill a tag is tomorrow, and I'm going for similar results!!
same here,very hard season. missed 4-5 during archery,but did get a 4pt that I could not recover until the next morning. Wasnt able to put any of the meat in the freezer due to the dang yotes beat me to it. I took a friend that has never killed a deer on one of my good hunts.3 day hunt first day he missed second day late he gets one.That leaves me one day,saw several yearlings no shooter.Went to Ga for a weekend only saw 2 yearlings. Going to Ga again for 3 days this weekend for the last hunt of the year,and hope something happens good.Freezer is looking very poor,gonna be hungery this year:bag:

#6 ·
Congratulations, now I have a question. Why would you not shoot a walking deer? Even with a bow, I seldom try to stop a deer unless it is trotting or running. In fact, with a bow, I actually prefer to have them moving as there is less chance of being spotted when I move.

#7 ·
Congratulations, now I have a question. Why would you not shoot a walking deer? Even with a bow, I seldom try to stop a deer unless it is trotting or running. In fact, with a bow, I actually prefer to have them moving as there is less chance of being spotted when I move.
He was moving at almost a trot. I have shot deer on the move before, but prefer a standing still shot (especially with a flintlock) for reduced chance of a less than fatal hit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.