Missed the same deer 4 times.... - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:52 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Missed the same deer 4 times....

I know my scope is dead on. I can put 5 rounds in an area the size of a quarter at 100 yards. But tonight the strangest thing happened. I have 4 doe tags to fill so thats all I am shooting since only 4 days left in the season. Tonight I had 2 nice does walk out around 5:15 and head to my corn pile. I waited till they got there and stopped. Both were broadside to me. I slowed my breathing, pulled the rifle butt tight into my shoulder and put my cross-hairs on the bigger doe. I had the cross-hairs right on her heart/lung area at only 45 yards and I slowly squeezed off a round.

I didnt see the round hit dirt like when I have missed before but the deer didnt go down either. Also the strangest thing is she didnt take off running only took 3 steps and stopped. I readied another round had my scope dead on her again and squeezed off and still no hit. She went about 12 feet and stopped again. So I chambered another one lined her up and fired. Nothing, so I fired again.

I shot 4 times at a deer no more than 40-50 yards away and missed every time. I admit I have missed from this exact stand before as its the one I mentioned in my post about searching for deer. But I have never seen a deer sit there and let me empty my clip at her. The week before I folded a 115 pound doe like a chair at twice the range in the same stand so I dont know what to make of what happened. I kinda chuckled to myself and nicknamed that doe Tebow.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 AM

"IF" the scope is truly on the mark, then you are in all the excitment pulling off target. Sometimes you can actually want to see the deer's post shot travel/hit reaction that you simply blow the shot and forgot to do the most important thing, concentrate on the full shot mechanic's including follow through. I've seen teeangers have their eyes closed at the time of the shot In your case additional range time and possibly getting a single shot rifle which will put all your concentration into a one shot mindset, I think it would help you. You could load just 1 bullet in your current rifle, however, I think the temtation would be to just continue to load it up. Just some thoughts. Good luck in determining/correcting the issue at hand.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:55 AM
B&C 140 Class

Being dark wouldn't had been part of the issue would it, you said it was 5:15 that is flat out too dark here to see through any scope I own or even my bow. Here about 4:50 pm is it, on enough light to see, if your shot is that close (40,50 yards) and that late in the day I would personally trash the scope and shoot the iron sights.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:03 AM
B&C 100 Class

Yea the scope is a 17 year old leupold. its what my dad gave me when he got a nice new $800 scope for his .270. Also I cant believe it was excitement. I dropped 6,7,8 pointers this season and none of them went further than 10 feet. I dont buy me getting "buck fever" on a doe that probably didnt break 95 pounds. I was gonna go shoot the target again but if its a terrible scope once the sun starts setting going out there mid day and putting 5 thru the center isnt going to prove anything.

Also this isnt the first time I have had problems with this scope. I have missed other deer right as the sun was coming up as well. But when I sit from 4-5 or before daylight savings 5-6 if I saw it I dropped it. I dont think going through 2 more boxes of .243 ammo isnt going to prove anything because I know I can light up the target. But now with the season almost over and I can look back on all my missed deer. Every single miss was either right before sun up or right before dark.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:11 AM

Shooting and missing that many deer = some kind of problem. I was only offering my suggestions. With so much experience behind you, shouldn't be a problem fixing the issue.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:53 AM
B&C 140 Class

Thomas,
If you have a Leupold scope it doesn"t matter how old it is, Leupold wiil still warranty it. What I would do is after season call Leupold to see if they will look at it and give you an estimate of what it cost to do that. If it then comes back that the scope is ok at least it eliminates the scope as a problem
daddus
Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
I know my scope is dead on. I can put 5 rounds in an area the size of a quarter at 100 yards. But tonight the strangest thing happened. I have 4 doe tags to fill so thats all I am shooting since only 4 days left in the season. Tonight I had 2 nice does walk out around 5:15 and head to my corn pile. I waited till they got there and stopped. Both were broadside to me. I slowed my breathing, pulled the rifle butt tight into my shoulder and put my cross-hairs on the bigger doe. I had the cross-hairs right on her heart/lung area at only 45 yards and I slowly squeezed off a round.

I didnt see the round hit dirt like when I have missed before but the deer didnt go down either. Also the strangest thing is she didnt take off running only took 3 steps and stopped. I readied another round had my scope dead on her again and squeezed off and still no hit. She went about 12 feet and stopped again. So I chambered another one lined her up and fired. Nothing, so I fired again.

I shot 4 times at a deer no more than 40-50 yards away and missed every time. I admit I have missed from this exact stand before as its the one I mentioned in my post about searching for deer. But I have never seen a deer sit there and let me empty my clip at her. The week before I folded a 115 pound doe like a chair at twice the range in the same stand so I dont know what to make of what happened. I kinda chuckled to myself and nicknamed that doe Tebow.
Man... What a story...

But very funny ending man, best of luck next time.

Good luck hunting Elmer Fudd.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:51 AM
B&C 120 Class

Not to be whippin' a dead horse but when you are absolutely sure that the gun is dialed in on targets then you can't hit a deer with it, that's simply one thing--"Operator Error". My guess is you're inadvertantly pulling your face out of the scope when you pull the trigger to see what happens with the deer. Your face needs to stay glued to the stock throughout the whole shot.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Like Button

Sometimes i wish this site was like Facebook because there are so many posts in this feed that i would like to "like" ... good, honest comments everyone...

and just because you're shooting at a downward angle and you're rounds are ending up in the dirt that doesn't mean you didn't nick the flesh and unethically wound the deer.

secondly i think its bold of you to say your rounds were ending up in the dirt and not at little Johnny's tree fort because you said yourself you didn't see dirt fly and by the sounds of how "good" of a shot you are i wouldn't scrap an alright rifle just because you're frustrated (i will start the rifle fostering foundation if thats the case and you can send it my way)

i would head out to the range and and blow through a shit ton of ammo till you and you're rifle are a better shot.

Blunt but honest.