Missed the same deer 4 times.... - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM
B&C 160 Class

:goodpostin g:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 07:42 AM
Scrub Buck

Well I cant even begin to give a sugestion based on that information. If it was me I would head back to the range but first make sure everything is tight on that weapon.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:05 AM

I don't really like responding to posts like this but misses do happen sometimes, it just gets a little under my skin when I hear things like 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc shots and still missing.

If a shooter misses once that should end the shooting, there shouldn't ever be repeated shots unless it's at the range in a safe shooting environment or until the shooter knows why the first shot was a miss and corrects it.

and now, on this specific post, I have to ask, How can you miss a deer at 40 yards with a rifle and think it's safe to continue shooting more?
In the future I hope you handle a missed shot in a safer manner.

Like Spiker said, you want advice but when its not what you want to hear you come up with your own answer.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:53 PM

I may have been a bit harsh but I think there are some ethics lessons to be learned here. Hopefully, some of what we/I said is taken in and a good outcome is the result.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 AM
B&C 100 Class

I have a ghetto range set up on my farm. I have a huge pile of sand I use as a backdrop to soak up the rounds. I have an old real estate for sale sign that I put targets on. After I miss I will put up a target and shoot 10 times at it.

Its one of those targets with 4 little targets in each corner and 1 big one in the center. I shoot once at each little one then 6 at the big one in the middle. Im hitting almost dead center at 75-80 yards usually 8/10 shots. I chalk up the 2 misses to rushing my shot or jerking. But there isnt pattern in my misses, like they are all up and left, to lead me to believe my scope is off.

So I dont see what I can gain by continuing putting bullets through a target. My aim isnt off. Even had someone else shoot it and they hit the center as well. So I dont think theres a problem with the gun either. I just had this scope put on less than a month ago and the guy zeroed it in and I havent banged it so if I took it back to him im sure its still fine but after the season I will do just that just to be sure.

Also whats not safe about continuing to shoot after I miss? If the deer is still standing there and not running full speed why not take anther shot? Im not shooting on a level because Im in a stand so the only place my rounds can end up are in the ground and there arent any houses close by.

Last edited by thomasmgp; 01-01-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
Also whats not safe about continuing to shoot after I miss? If the deer is still standing there and not running full speed why not take anther shot?
If you can't hit the deer at 40 yards, do you really think it's wise to shoot continually at a deer that's moving further away from you?

In your original post you stated; "I know my scope is dead on. I can put 5 rounds in an area the size of a quarter at 100 yards"

Bottom line is simple if you miss your target at 40 yards "knowing" you can cover 5 rounds with a Quarter @ 100 yards
then obviously you know something isnt right so taking additional shots is the wrong action in my book. Don't you agree?

Old 01-01-2012, 12:01 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
If you can't hit the deer at 40 yards, do you really think it's wise to shoot continually at a deer that's moving further away from you?

In your original post you stated; "I know my scope is dead on. I can put 5 rounds in an area the size of a quarter at 100 yards"

Bottom line is simple if you miss your target at 40 yards "knowing" you can cover 5 rounds with a Quarter @ 100 yards
then obviously you know something isnt right so taking additional shots is the wrong action in my book. Don't you agree?
Gonna take it next week after the season is over to have it checked out. Probably gonna trash the gun after this season anyways. I just noticed the wood at the end of the forestock where it meets the barrel is starting to crack so barrel might be out of line. Gonna shoot my .270 tonight just to be safe.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Scrub Buck

my red dot was like that i knew it was dead on and i missed a deer 5 times and they had the same reactions as your doe lookked 30 minutes for blood nothing so i took my scope of went to iron sights took my rimfire barrel output bird barrel in and got some rimfire slugs pounded a doe the next weekend. i will never trust red dots again
Old 01-31-2012, 01:08 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
I know my scope is dead on. I can put 5 rounds in an area the size of a quarter at 100 yards. But tonight the strangest thing happened. I have 4 doe tags to fill so thats all I am shooting since only 4 days left in the season. Tonight I had 2 nice does walk out around 5:15 and head to my corn pile. I waited till they got there and stopped. Both were broadside to me. I slowed my breathing, pulled the rifle butt tight into my shoulder and put my cross-hairs on the bigger doe. I had the cross-hairs right on her heart/lung area at only 45 yards and I slowly squeezed off a round.

I didnt see the round hit dirt like when I have missed before but the deer didnt go down either. Also the strangest thing is she didnt take off running only took 3 steps and stopped. I readied another round had my scope dead on her again and squeezed off and still no hit. She went about 12 feet and stopped again. So I chambered another one lined her up and fired. Nothing, so I fired again.

I shot 4 times at a deer no more than 40-50 yards away and missed every time. I admit I have missed from this exact stand before as its the one I mentioned in my post about searching for deer. But I have never seen a deer sit there and let me empty my clip at her. The week before I folded a 115 pound doe like a chair at twice the range in the same stand so I dont know what to make of what happened. I kinda chuckled to myself and nicknamed that doe Tebow.
Man... What a story...

But very funny ending man, best of luck next time.

Good luck hunting Elmer Fudd.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 AM
B&C 120 Class

Not to be whippin' a dead horse but when you are absolutely sure that the gun is dialed in on targets then you can't hit a deer with it, that's simply one thing--"Operator Error". My guess is you're inadvertantly pulling your face out of the scope when you pull the trigger to see what happens with the deer. Your face needs to stay glued to the stock throughout the whole shot.