Help Me - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:50 PM
Scrub Buck

Unhappy Help Me

I am 41 years old and have hunted all of my life with my dad. If I had to count the deer hunts that I have been on, I would say about 300. while in the tree stand or box stand I have ONLY seen 10 deer and never was able to get a shot on any of them. 5 were does and 5 were yearlins. We hunt from sun up till about 10am, break for breakfast/lunch then back on the stand around 12pm ad stay on the stand till last shooting light. I wash my hunting clothes in scent removal detergent and wear cover scent. We have corn feeders that the deer tear up at night. I have tried scents and am about at my wits end. We hunt in Bienville Parish, Arcadia/ Gibsland, Louisiana. Any help getting my first ever deer and to have better chances in the future would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:45 PM

Simple answer, change where you are hunting. You've put in enough time to say find a new location.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:20 AM
B&C 120 Class

The answer isnot simple. It would bge impossible to help without seeing you hunt. Obviously, you are doing something wrong but I have no idea what. It would be easy to say, you are hunting in the wrong place but if your cameras are showing deer, that belies that.

I use none of the products you mention. I do hunt clean. By that, I mean I shower before going to the woods and wear clothes. However, I use no scent products and take no special pains. I routinely kill deer from the same stand as often as three times in 10 days. I field dress them where they fall and if possible, drive right to them to load them.

I have no feeders or cameras but if your feeders are getting hit at night, something has turned your deer nocturnal. The most common thing is pressure. Pressure can be anything including hunting. Here is the major question I would ask. Are others in your group having the same trouble and are you the only ones hunting that same area?
Old 12-24-2011, 05:41 AM
B&C 120 Class

Good post & good advice Scribe!!
Old 12-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Scrub Buck

Let this new guy give you some advice if I can. I am a Reg Maine guide so I have a lot of experience with helping fellows hunt deer. Movement is really important. If you move you WILL be spotted. You might not even see the deer but they will see you. Remember you are hunting where they live everyday. My advice to you if you have hunted that long and not killed anything is to hunt with someone that is experienced and watch their every move. If I were closer I would hunt with you for a few days. What kind of deer are you getting on the trail cam? If they are big bucks I might just plan a hunt down there. I am a black powder guy and by the way had a call from a fellow wanting to trade a gator hunt for a bear hunt. Maybe if I am down your way could see if I could help you a little.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:08 PM
Scrub Buck

Default thank You

thank you to all who replied... since my post I killed a spike on the 26th of Dec in the pouring rain!!! I have been trying to stay as still as possible and as quiet as possible.