Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   i am really ready to give up (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/9027-i-am-really-ready-give-up.html)

GaHunting4life 12-20-2011 08:26 AM

i am really ready to give up

well after 2 months of no deer on my cam i have decided to stay out the woods for the season and just hunt food plots because i havent seen but one deer and it still had spots

daddus1 12-20-2011 08:45 AM

GaHunt,
Welcome to the site. So you are ready to give up? Well none of the rest of us have ever had that problem, our problem is there are so many deer we don't know which one to shoot! Lol. Really though we all go through streches like that. When I'm out in the woods I figure that I'm really fortunate to even be able to do hunting. I don't know how you look at it but it gives me a chance to look around and see what has been created for us. I get a kick out of watching the squirrels, coons, turkeys etc. Heck I even take naps on occasion. If a deer should wonder by great, if not it's ok, maybe tomorrow.
There was a time in my life when if I didn't get a deer I was sure I was a failure but not anymore, so don't be down, it's ok you are a hunter, a special breed of person made to be outdoors enjoying what God has made. You'll be fine. Maybe today is the day!!!!!
Good luck
daddus

tator 12-20-2011 09:27 AM

I agree with daddus... keep your head up. It's hard to pattern deer in the woods. Many times the trail you may have your camera over may be a trail they don't use anymore. I have had that problem before. Keep looking for new fresh signs of movement. One thing I do on a trail to see if it's a trail still in use is I find a thick branch or limb off a tree and somewhere on the trail I'll brush the leaves away with my foot and then press the dirt down with my boot and then take the limb and slide it over the spot to sort of "level it off". Make the dirt smooth and flat. Then check it in about 2 weeks for tracks. Now, this typically works best when the dirt is some-what moist from rain or from being under the leaves. Also- it works best in the woods rather than along fields or wood-lines.

gfdeputy2 12-20-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddus1 (Post 65492)
GaHunt,
Welcome to the site. So you are ready to give up? Well none of the rest of us have ever had that problem, our problem is there are so many deer we don't know which one to shoot! Lol. Really though we all go through streches like that. When I'm out in the woods I figure that I'm really fortunate to even be able to do hunting. I don't know how you look at it but it gives me a chance to look around and see what has been created for us. I get a kick out of watching the squirrels, coons, turkeys etc. Heck I even take naps on occasion. If a deer should wonder by great, if not it's ok, maybe tomorrow.
There was a time in my life when if I didn't get a deer I was sure I was a failure but not anymore, so don't be down, it's ok you are a hunter, a special breed of person made to be outdoors enjoying what God has made. You'll be fine. Maybe today is the day!!!!!
Good luck
daddus

VERY well said Daddus

scribe 12-20-2011 05:53 PM

It took you two months????????

I learned years ago, you can't kill deer where they aint.

Hunting Man 12-20-2011 06:38 PM

Wait till to head out on a trip, wait all year, spend the money and then don't see/shoot anything. The issue is it's hunting. Sometimes things work out sometimes they don't. Picking out a new area seems the right thing to do for you. Good luck!

scribe 12-22-2011 11:51 AM

Don't give up on hunting, just give up on that spot. Go scout and find some deer you can hunt.

rdrader2002 12-22-2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scribe (Post 65612)
Don't give up on hunting, just give up on that spot. Go scout and find some deer you can hunt.

What he said! ! !

We've all had good days and bad days, sometimes that equates to good seasons and bad ones. Enjoy the time out in the woods and make the best of things, then try again in another spot.

RR

Hellbilly 12-22-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunting Man (Post 65534)
Wait till to head out on a trip, wait all year, spend the money and then don't see/shoot anything. The issue is it's hunting. Sometimes things work out sometimes they don't. Picking out a new area seems the right thing to do for you. Good luck!

yep thats me this season.2 out of state trips and freezer is still empty.thats why its called hunting and not killing.I usally have 4-5 by now,but Im still at "0". You gotta take the good with the bad and not give up to be a hunter.Dont give up and hope it turns around for ya

scribe 12-23-2011 09:25 AM

It has been the opposite here. After killing four during bow season, I figured it would slack off but they kept on coming. Except for a trip to AL for a few days, I'm done. All the family and friends freezers are full.