how do i get deer to come into my woods - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Scrub Buck

Default how do i get deer to come into my woods

i hunt hardwoods and the acorns are all gone so i put out corn and a trail cam but i got like 30 pics in 2 days then its been 2 months now and nothing i got a wind feeder so when the wind blows it feeds any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 PM
B&C 120 Class

There are many ways to attract deer. Foremost is food source. Just a corn pile by itself is not very effective. Feeders are considerably more effective however, just putting feed out will not hold deer. That requires habitat manipulation and that is far to deep a subject to deal with here.

Sometime later this year, I will have a four-part series on whitetail management. Perhaps that will help you for next year.

BTW-Make sure feeding/baiting is legal in your state.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:36 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe View Post
There are many ways to attract deer. Foremost is food source. Just a corn pile by itself is not very effective. Feeders are considerably more effective however, just putting feed out will not hold deer. That requires habitat manipulation and that is far to deep a subject to deal with here.

I agree.... I only bait to see what has made it through the deer hunting season and to find out how the overall herd is doing (body size).
I also bait to see when bucks have dropped their antlers. This way I know when to begin shed hunting- one of my favorite pastimes. I do however use mineral lick sites to help the deer with their mineral needs and nutrition.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Scrub Buck

Default how do i get deer to come into my woods

well i took out the feeder and just spread about 25 pounds of cour to see what i get i will post pics if i get some
Old 12-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Scrub Buck

also what are some cheap homemade deer attractants i can introduce to them this summer to make them bigger for my son to get his first he is 8
Old 12-15-2011, 02:47 PM
B&C 140 Class

Tator if you put out a tri pod feeder and put some chicken wire around the upper half of the legs all the way around, you'll have horns at your feeder. As they catch the wire if their ready to come off or realy close, they'll come right off and you can just pick up the horns before the squrails start chewing on them.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 PM

cheapest thing to put out is salt, add some molassas to it for sweetner and they will come.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Scrub Buck

i will try that hunting man should i use rock salt or regular salt
Old 12-15-2011, 03:40 PM

Buying bulk probably rock salt will be cheapest. The other thing I would suggest is check out your prices on red trace mineral salt at the closest feed store. It has all the stuff animals need in bulk package. Farmers add it to feed for stock animals. Red trace mineral salt was only a few dollars a 50lb bag years ago, today ????
Old 12-15-2011, 05:17 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Buying bulk probably rock salt will be cheapest. The other thing I would suggest is check out your prices on red trace mineral salt at the closest feed store. It has all the stuff animals need in bulk package. Farmers add it to feed for stock animals. Red trace mineral salt was only a few dollars a 50lb bag years ago, today ????
The last time I bought some red mineral salt it was around $6-$7 or so. Not expensive. Just buy you a white salt block, those work well for attractants too. Find a good place where the soil is loose and dig a hole and burry it. Make sure it's a place that will get exposed to the rain too.

As far as attractants, you can try peanut butter. I hear it stirs their curiousity some. Haven't tried it though. Cheap.