Deer Hunting Forums banner

how do i get deer to come into my woods

12K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  WhoDat 
#1 ·
i hunt hardwoods and the acorns are all gone so i put out corn and a trail cam but i got like 30 pics in 2 days then its been 2 months now and nothing i got a wind feeder so when the wind blows it feeds any help

#2 ·
There are many ways to attract deer. Foremost is food source. Just a corn pile by itself is not very effective. Feeders are considerably more effective however, just putting feed out will not hold deer. That requires habitat manipulation and that is far to deep a subject to deal with here.

Sometime later this year, I will have a four-part series on whitetail management. Perhaps that will help you for next year.

BTW-Make sure feeding/baiting is legal in your state.:wacko:

#3 ·
There are many ways to attract deer. Foremost is food source. Just a corn pile by itself is not very effective. Feeders are considerably more effective however, just putting feed out will not hold deer. That requires habitat manipulation and that is far to deep a subject to deal with here.

I agree.... I only bait to see what has made it through the deer hunting season and to find out how the overall herd is doing (body size).
I also bait to see when bucks have dropped their antlers. This way I know when to begin shed hunting- one of my favorite pastimes. I do however use mineral lick sites to help the deer with their mineral needs and nutrition.

#6 ·
Tator if you put out a tri pod feeder and put some chicken wire around the upper half of the legs all the way around, you'll have horns at your feeder. As they catch the wire if their ready to come off or realy close, they'll come right off and you can just pick up the horns before the squrails start chewing on them.

#9 ·
Buying bulk probably rock salt will be cheapest. The other thing I would suggest is check out your prices on red trace mineral salt at the closest feed store. It has all the stuff animals need in bulk package. Farmers add it to feed for stock animals. Red trace mineral salt was only a few dollars a 50lb bag years ago, today ????

#10 ·
The last time I bought some red mineral salt it was around $6-$7 or so. Not expensive. Just buy you a white salt block, those work well for attractants too. Find a good place where the soil is loose and dig a hole and burry it. Make sure it's a place that will get exposed to the rain too.

As far as attractants, you can try peanut butter. I hear it stirs their curiousity some. Haven't tried it though. Cheap.

#11 ·
Where in Ga. are you hunting? . I hunt over in Randolph County. By Albany. Haven't seen as many deer this year. Still alot of acorns on the ground. Hasn't gotten cold enough , long enough to kill off the natural browse. The deer on my place arn't coming up out of the bottoms, yet. Try something that i have used with great success. Try either some soy sauce ( just dump it on the ground) or some artificial vanilla extract. Mixed with demineralized water and put in a spray bottle and spray it around your hunting area. If you are in the southern zone, you can also use peanut butter. Take the top off of a jar and wood screw it to a tree. cut the bottom off the jar then screw it back on to the lid. or you can just smear it on the tree.

G
#16 ·
Try planting a food plot there cheep and easy to grow that will keep them comming back all year long also if ya can get water over there my ant loves to watch the deer and collect the racks also and she did the food plot and water and there are more deer in her back yard all year long then I have ever seen hunting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.