Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   When do you give up searching for a deer? (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/8977-when-do-you-give-up-searching-deer.html)

thomasmgp 12-13-2011 06:06 PM

When do you give up searching for a deer?

Finally saw a nice doe tonight and got a shot off. Knocked her down but she got up and ran right into the one place I really did not want to go looking. Place we just had our timber harvested so stumps and fallen trees everywhere not to mention briars 2" long. Was warm out so I was only wearing blujeans and my lowtop boots so trying to make my way through was great fun but I didnt wanna leave my deer for the buzzards.

I could hear that she was down somewhere I just couldnt get to her. But when something like this gets stuck where that deer was I figured no way in hell i was gonna get there and even if I did would have been impossible to drag her out by myself. Also was getting dark quick. In case your wondering what got stuck back there it was one of these:

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/8752/skidder.jpg

Anyone else given up looking for a deer they know where its down but just impossible to get to because of the terrain? Should I have kept trying to get to the deer?

timberghost 12-13-2011 09:53 PM

I have went into hip deep swamp and knee deep creeks to get to deer before, not to mention prickery, thorny junk too. Well as long as you feel that you have done everything in your power and have absolutely exhausted yourself in trying to locate that deer then I guess you can call it quits.

scruggs123 12-13-2011 10:56 PM

I just went through the same thing. I had to back out and come back the next day. I looked for hours, found it (half eaten by coyotes), and dragged what was left out about a half mile. I personally feel if you shoot it, keep at it. It may be tough and hard work but get it, you shot it. Unless you lose the blood trail after looking for a long, long time. If you know where it is (approximately) you owe the game and yourself the respect of making every single effort.

Hunting Man 12-14-2011 07:07 AM

I think we've all been there and done that. I hate swamps! This year in PA it was a 2 hr drag with briars and mountain laural :ranting:

spiker 12-14-2011 09:21 AM

Im sorry and dont take offense but you pulled the trigger and its your job to try and get that deer.Why hunt there if you cant retrieve the animal,what if it suffered laying there for hours.You could have found it and quartered it .Im with timberghost you owe it to the animal otherwise dont pull the trigger.

on_the_fly 12-14-2011 11:58 AM

I agree ! You owe it to the animal to do your best in finding it. If the terain is that bad I would suggest you either a head shot or don't hunt if you don't want to track. If your just filling a freezer, I prefer head shots myself mostly because of no meat damage and I can make the most out of the animal, but for a plus in your case they drop right there as well. No tracking.

tator 12-14-2011 12:21 PM

I somewhat disagree with the above posters... while I respect their opinion, sometimes you just have to call it quits. You as a hunter, have no control over where a deer is going to go when it's hit. Yes, the ideal shot is for them to drop right then and there, but this isn't a perfect world. From the pics, it looks like just part of the forest was being logged and therefore, the doe just decided to hide out and die in that thick stuff. It happens. I've had to exhaust looking for deer that I knew were dead because I couldn't find them or did not have access to land where they went to. Many times, they'll jump onto neighbors land and if I don't have their phone number and can't FIND someone who knows them, I'm not going to break the law and get a hefty fine by trespassing. I have to call it quits. That's hunting, it happens, and yes it's bad that the deer wasn't found, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

gfdeputy2 12-14-2011 01:31 PM

Tator
I agree sometimes the circumstances limit you to have to call it quits. heck I lost2 deer I have shot but I did search for 3 days after until I was positive I was not going to find it
I may be wrong & I am sorry if I am it sounds to me reading the post like he was not properly prepared to hunt where he was hunting. If it was that thick & swampy I would have had to pass on that area or dress appropriately & carry the essential items to make a recovery. Maybe it is me but it is one thing I do when stepping into an area is making sure if I shoot will I be able to get a deer out of there the best I can
just my 2 cents

tator 12-14-2011 02:24 PM

maybe.... but the way I read it he shot her and then she ran into that stuff. So I was taking it as though he wasn't hunting in the thick stuff but she had ran into it once shot. If he WAS hunting in the thick and then couldn't get to her or get her out, then I agree with you 100% gfd! :)

gfdeputy2 12-14-2011 02:37 PM

yeah not really sure how it went down
the real point is there is no worse feeling then not being able to recover your animal the doe I shot in NY I had to leave over night as it was getting dark & Iwith the bow wanted to give her time I knew she was dead but killed me to leave it till morning did not sleep well that night