When do you give up searching for a deer? - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
I want to share a personal story that made me sick and furious.Years ago while bowhunting with my cousin he set up right next to the neighbors line where we couldnt hunt or have permission to go on.That night he shoots a six pt with the bow.It takes off and runs of course on the neighbors.When i met my cousin i notice where he is set up and say what the hell did u think would happen?He tells me oh well we cant track it so thats it.I was pissed and got into a huge argument with him and my uncle and told him he was an idiot for setting up there and doing that to the deer.He slept like a baby, i was sick to my stomach, and the next year i bought my own place and never hunted with him again.The moral of the story is yes things do happen bad hits,lost blood trails,but we have to prepare ourselves as best we can to be able to cleanly harvest an animal and be able to recover it.Sorry about the length of the post.Ps. Best decision i ever made the number of deer he has wounded is insane.

Just curious about the laws you have up there spiker. In TN if I shoot a deer that goes on someone else's land the law protects me to go look for it. First I would just go ask the landowner. If he is an ill butt then I call a game warden and fill him in on the situation. I almost guarantee any of our TN game wardens would go tell that land owner we are going to go find that deer. Thats garbage if you cant! We cannot control where the deer runs after we shoot it. I do not hesitate to hunt right on a fence row in TN. If the deer crosses in a low area of the fence (or where its broken down) and I shoot on my side then he is legally taken even if he runs and dies on the other guys property.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 12:24 AM
B&C 140 Class

In Illinois, you are not allowed under any circumstance to enter on to anyone's land without prior written permission. if you do, and they call the game warden you will be arrested and prosecuted for trespass and hunting on private property.(as I assume you will have your weapon with you to dispatch a wounded game animal.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 12-19-2011, 08:29 AM
B&C 180 Class

I can't believe anyone would deer hunt that doesn't dress their own deer. It's actually really easy and quick to do. I've gotten it down to about 4-5 minutes. Now, I do just a normal field dress, nothing fancy, nothing too special. I remove heart, lungs, stomach, liver, intestines, and all the other organs in there. The tricky-est is the heart for me. Anyone have a good quick way to cut it out? The lungs can be difficult if I let them be! lol I typically cut through ribs about half way up,, guess I could try cutting through all of them.

BTW- In Missouri you need permission to go onto another landowner's property to retreive a deer. If you can't reach that land owner, you can call game warden and they'll let you go get it 99.9% of the time.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:59 AM
B&C 160 Class

He had already been thrown off this mans property and told to stay off.So i was angry where he set up knowing with a bow shot its gonna run downhill onto this property.If he called the game warden the owner would have told em he caught him in there before.I did not agree with the way he hunted and this was my last straw.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:25 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
Provided it is legal in your state to quarter game. In Illinois, it is a no no.
and there are limitations to most all the responses here. you have to make your best effort to retrieve shot game, and in the end, the best judge of your best effort, is you.

If others are to be the judge of what is and isn't enough effort, then I might say anything short of 6 days tracking don't cut it. now how many are guilty of not enough effort?
I have never left a downed deer.as for responces,if they dont want them then dont ask the question.Also if your hunting an area that is to hard for you to recover a downed deer then your hunting in the wrong spot for your limitations.If you dont even go look to see if it was down then how do you know? seeing no buzzards days later is no answer. In my aea for quartering game laws says " the head and evidenve of sex may not be removed from the carcuss of any deer in the area"
Old 12-19-2011, 10:30 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
What does that even mean? I dont even know how to field dress. I throw all the deer I kill in my truck and drive it to a processing plant. Did get one tonight. 114 pound doe for the freezer. Pulled the trigger, it dropped, twitched twice and that was that. Again still no buzzards so I know for a fact that I missed that deer now.
"I dont even know how to field dress. I throw all the deer I kill in my truck and drive it to a processing plant.">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>you got to be kidding right?
Old 12-20-2011, 04:18 AM
B&C 120 Class

Just a side note for Predator, yes you can quarter a deer in Illinois in the field , look on page 14 of the DNR Hunting and Trapping regs, "you may not strip a deer carcass BEYOND QUARTERING in the field, and evidence of sex must remain attached". You are absolutely correct about gaining permission to retrieve a deer on other ground. I've had to do that twice in the last few years, luckily I have neighbors who are fine with that, BUT ONLY if I ask first.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:51 AM
B&C 120 Class

And while I'm thinkin' about it, I killed my first deer in 1970, and I still remember my buddy Howard standing next to me, me with the"what now?" look, and him saying"GET YOUR KNIFE OUT!" The DEER FAIRY is not gonna show up and do it for 'ya. As far as rough ground, I have a little 20 acre woods that was logged off 5 or 6 yrs ago, and I guarantee a field mouse has a rough time gettin' through it, but I still hunt through it and I'm 63. Worry about locating first, worry about gettin' it out after you locate it. And if you make a hit that is a little off, you may not have blood for the first 20 or 30 yds, but there will be blood. When a deer runs off after you shoot, don't watch the deer, watch what's around it as it's running so you can find the exact same path it took. Things look one way up in a tree, can look pretty different when you hit the ground again.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:38 AM

As far as I know Ohio law says no trespassing without permission for any reason.