When do you give up searching for a deer? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:01 PM

The point is you have to be prepared for anything, the game deserves it. I too have lost deer in archery and makes me sick for years later, however, I knew that after 1-2 days looking they stayed on their feet for the duration of the search and maybe made it, never know. It's never a good feeling when game isn't recovered, it really blows big time. I'll tell you I remember the lost ones more clearly than all the recovered ones over the years and that's the truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 02:15 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfdeputy2 View Post
If it was that thick & swampy I would have had to pass on that area or dress appropriately & carry the essential items to make a recovery. Maybe it is me but it is one thing I do when stepping into an area is making sure if I shoot will I be able to get a deer out of there the best I can
just my 2 cents
Honestly didnt realize how bad it was until I was a few feet in. I havent hunted that part of my land because with all the cutting and then them spraying I figured the deer would have moved away from it. But since everyone said all my deer were nocturnal because of my activity in the woods in my other post this stand was my only option as it hasnt been hunted all year and is on the other side of my property. Had it been a morning hunt I would have gone back to my cabin, put on snake boots, thicker clothers and jacket so the briars wouldnt have bothered me. But even if I did make it to the deer wasnt like I could just sling it over my shoulder and walk back out.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:58 PM
B&C 160 Class

I want to share a personal story that made me sick and furious.Years ago while bowhunting with my cousin he set up right next to the neighbors line where we couldnt hunt or have permission to go on.That night he shoots a six pt with the bow.It takes off and runs of course on the neighbors.When i met my cousin i notice where he is set up and say what the hell did u think would happen?He tells me oh well we cant track it so thats it.I was pissed and got into a huge argument with him and my uncle and told him he was an idiot for setting up there and doing that to the deer.He slept like a baby, i was sick to my stomach, and the next year i bought my own place and never hunted with him again.The moral of the story is yes things do happen bad hits,lost blood trails,but we have to prepare ourselves as best we can to be able to cleanly harvest an animal and be able to recover it.Sorry about the length of the post.Ps. Best decision i ever made the number of deer he has wounded is insane.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
Honestly didnt realize how bad it was until I was a few feet in. I havent hunted that part of my land because with all the cutting and then them spraying I figured the deer would have moved away from it. But since everyone said all my deer were nocturnal because of my activity in the woods in my other post this stand was my only option as it hasnt been hunted all year and is on the other side of my property. Had it been a morning hunt I would have gone back to my cabin, put on snake boots, thicker clothers and jacket so the briars wouldnt have bothered me. But even if I did make it to the deer wasnt like I could just sling it over my shoulder and walk back out.
thomasmgp it isnt always as easy as just slinging it over your shoulder & walking back out. Could you gone back in there in the morning with help?
for me if it takes all day to get it out that is what I do
I guess all I can say is it happened it sucks learn from it

well said spiker I try to always scout the land i am going to hunt every year as the vegetation changes constantly
even new places like first time in NY. I take a day or so looking at the land before hunting just so I know what I may be in for

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 PM
B&C 140 Class

I figure that this "horse" has been beaten enough . . .

As long as the hunter makes an honest, viable attempt, then it should be enough.

RR
Old 12-16-2011, 07:29 AM
B&C 100 Class

starting to think I didnt even hit the deer in the first place. Never saw blood just assumed I hit her because of the way she reacted when I fired. What I heard that I thought was her down might have actually been her making noise because she got suck somewhere and was trying to get free. Its been 3 warm days in the 60s and I havent seen the buzzards circling yet.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:54 PM
B&C 140 Class

no excuse, you shot it go get it.you also know there is a law for that? wanton waste,just because it hard is not a reason to waste that deer.if ya cant drag it out,them quarter it up and back pack it out
Old 12-17-2011, 10:02 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
no excuse, you shot it go get it.you also know there is a law for that? wanton waste,just because it hard is not a reason to waste that deer.if ya cant drag it out,them quarter it up and back pack it out
Provided it is legal in your state to quarter game. In Illinois, it is a no no.
and there are limitations to most all the responses here. you have to make your best effort to retrieve shot game, and in the end, the best judge of your best effort, is you.

If others are to be the judge of what is and isn't enough effort, then I might say anything short of 6 days tracking don't cut it. now how many are guilty of not enough effort?
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 12-18-2011, 08:23 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbilly View Post
if ya cant drag it out,them quarter it up and back pack it out
What does that even mean? I dont even know how to field dress. I throw all the deer I kill in my truck and drive it to a processing plant. Did get one tonight. 114 pound doe for the freezer. Pulled the trigger, it dropped, twitched twice and that was that. Again still no buzzards so I know for a fact that I missed that deer now.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Field Dress

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
What does that even mean? I dont even know how to field dress. I throw all the deer I kill in my truck and drive it to a processing plant. Did get one tonight. 114 pound doe for the freezer. Pulled the trigger, it dropped, twitched twice and that was that. Again still no buzzards so I know for a fact that I missed that deer now.
Most processing plants I know charge an additional $25-$50 to field dress or remove all the 'innards' of the deer. There are plenty of videos available to show you how its done. Takes no more than 15-30 minutes from start to finish. The 30 minutes is taking the additional time for a buck to remove scent glands, scrotum, etc. It's all part of the process of shooting deer and something I've tried passing down to my children - so they know how it's done.

When shooting my first deer, my wife showed me how to do it. She'd watched her dad do it when she was growing up.

Personally, I think that you're missing out by not dressing your deer and leaving it all for the processing plant to do. But that's a personal opinion.

RR