Hunting Knife Design - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:57 AM
B&C 120 Class

Hellbilly:
Five inches looks to be a good length if the blade is narrow enough. Very cool that you can use it for all steps of the process.

on_the_fly:
That is a great knife for a first try. My first ones were horrible. Industrial band saw blades are typically L6 steel. That is great stuff. Gets a very fine (sharp) edge and is flexible.

Predator:
Your drop point knife is broken Do you still use it that way? Your old fillet knife is simply awesome. Good size, shape and history. I love handing knives and guns down through the generations. Compared to electronics, knives and guns are inexpensive, they hold their value so much better, and are useful for well over 100 years. That's a good piece of family history. I have an old knife that my grandfather made right after WWII from a file. It was his Christmas gift to my grandmother. She didn't have any kitchen knives and they didn't have money to buy one. I still use it. Later today I will try and post a picture of it.

It is great to see all these pictures of knives that are seeing use in the field! Especially ones that are hand made or have some history to them. Keep them coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 11:51 AM
B&C 120 Class

Here is the knife that my Grandfather made. The blade was from a file and the handle is Micarta. He got all the materials from the saw mill he was working at. It is a good carving knife, but it really works well for melons.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:28 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVW View Post
Hellbilly:
Five inches looks to be a good length if the blade is narrow enough. Very cool that you can use it for all steps of the process.

on_the_fly:
That is a great knife for a first try. My first ones were horrible. Industrial band saw blades are typically L6 steel. That is great stuff. Gets a very fine (sharp) edge and is flexible.

Predator:
Your drop point knife is broken Do you still use it that way? Your old fillet knife is simply awesome. Good size, shape and history. I love handing knives and guns down through the generations. Compared to electronics, knives and guns are inexpensive, they hold their value so much better, and are useful for well over 100 years. That's a good piece of family history. I have an old knife that my grandfather made right after WWII from a file. It was his Christmas gift to my grandmother. She didn't have any kitchen knives and they didn't have money to buy one. I still use it. Later today I will try and post a picture of it.

It is great to see all these pictures of knives that are seeing use in the field! Especially ones that are hand made or have some history to them. Keep them coming.

Yes, I know. broke it on this years buck cutting through the sternum. Buck said they are busy when I contacted them and it would take 6-8 weeks to respond to it. and they want me to ship it to them. figured I would use it the best I could till after deer season ends.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 12-19-2011, 09:01 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
Yes, I know. broke it on this years buck cutting through the sternum. Buck said they are busy when I contacted them and it would take 6-8 weeks to respond to it. and they want me to ship it to them. figured I would use it the best I could till after deer season ends.
Ouch. I use a Gerber E-Z saw for cutting through the sternum and pelvis. They are only $10-$15 and they work well. Your knife really isn't made for that. I hope they fix it for you though. Now may be a good time to get a smaller knife that you were wanting anyways.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:14 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Ouch. I use a Gerber E-Z saw for cutting through the sternum and pelvis. They are only $10-$15 and they work well. Your knife really isn't made for that. I hope they fix it for you though. Now may be a good time to get a smaller knife that you were wanting anyways.

Well, the season will be over in about 3 weeks. will box it up and send it out then. they should replace it, I just hope the blade is the same or one that I would consider as a satisfactory replacement.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 12-23-2011, 06:17 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
Well, the season will be over in about 3 weeks. will box it up and send it out then. they should replace it, I just hope the blade is the same or one that I would consider as a satisfactory replacement.
Good luck. Let us know what they say.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:23 PM
B&C 120 Class

Poking around the internet I found this kit knife. I may just have to order one. It looks like it would work well for a boning knife. Mostly though I just like the over all look of it.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:29 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Below is my next attempt. They both have the same blade shapes, but with different handles. The blades are five inches long by inch wide by 1/16 inch thick. This should provide for good flexibility and maneuverability. I know that they look like a normal boning knife, but the blades have a bit of a drop to them as compared to most boning knives that have a straight back. They are also more flexible than most boning knives. It is kind of a mix between a fillet knife and a boning knife with a drop point. Since I have to wait a whole year to try them out, I was hoping that you guys could give me some thoughts and feedback.

Well here is the bottom one finished. The blade is stiffer than I expected, but it is light and feels great in the hand. I don't know if this is my final design or not, but so far I am really liking it.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 PM

Wow, that knife would work wonders on Canadian pike! I usually take about 7 knives on my fishing trips as I don't like to waste fishing time sharpening knives. One time at the border the agent asked me if I had any weapons, I said I have several fish fillet knives and she said did I intend on killing anyone with them? I almost laughed out loud except they don't have much humor up there!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:47 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Wow, that knife would work wonders on Canadian pike! I usually take about 7 knives on my fishing trips as I don't like to waste fishing time sharpening knives. One time at the border the agent asked me if I had any weapons, I said I have several fish fillet knives and she said did I intend on killing anyone with them? I almost laughed out loud except they don't have much humor up there!
That's too funny. I've never cleaned a Canadian Pike. This may end up being a good multi-use knife after all.