Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   Moon Phase question (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/8926-moon-phase-question.html)

3212 12-08-2011 05:40 PM

Moon Phase question

I'm going deer hunting for the next two days.Here's the situation,we have 2 inches of fresh snow and what appears to be a full moon in a clear sky.Tonights low temp. is 27*,tomorrows high is 42*.Clear skies both days.Same temps both days.How will this affect deer behavior?I think I know but would like other opinions.

timberghost 12-08-2011 08:00 PM

Cold temps will get em moving more. Go out and get em.

Hunting Man 12-08-2011 08:10 PM

Nothing like fresh snow. Good luck!

scribe 12-08-2011 08:20 PM

If the moon has any effect on deer movement and there is no factual data to prove it does, it would be that they may possibly move a little later in the morning than on a dark moon. It has zero effect on the rut.

BruceBruce1959 12-08-2011 08:41 PM

I have read studies done regarding deer activities during full moon phases, The studies were done by Charles Alsheimer,
He wrote a book titled "Hunting Whitetails by the Moon"
From what I remember, during a full moon Deer feed all night long and rest/sleep a lot during the following daylight hours.
hunting pressure will get the deer up and moving but if the woods are quiet, I wouldnt expect to see a lot of deer browsing the day after a full moon.

3212 12-08-2011 08:49 PM

I think I will get on top of the ridge and check the benches with binoculars while "still" hunting.

Hunting Man 12-08-2011 08:59 PM

I'll take a cold snow during the rut anytime over a hot temp rut. While the books say the shorter daylight brings on the rut I've seen over and over a warm spell kill any daylight activity. So if you are hunting and your rut is on, the cold temp will heighten the activity, seen it too many times to argue. Get out and hunt beats anything else especially work. The deer may take that late morning stretch and being there when they move is what's it's all about.

BruceBruce1959 12-08-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunting Man (Post 64673)
I'll take a cold snow during the rut anytime over a hot temp rut. While the books say the shorter daylight brings on the rut I've seen over and over a warm spell kill any daylight activity. So if you are hunting and your rut is on, the cold temp will heighten the activity, seen it too many times to argue. Get out and hunt beats anything else especially work. The deer may take that late morning stretch and being there when they move is what's it's all about.

I agree, a good cold snow helps any rutting activity but like HM said just get out and be there for any action, being there when they move is what it's all about....

tator 12-09-2011 09:02 AM

I'd be going out REALLY early in the a.m. b/c with the white snow and full moon, you can see all sorts of stuff going on at night. Now, it may not be legal to shoot before sunrise, but at least you get an opportunity you rarely have!

scribe 12-09-2011 02:15 PM

With all due respect to Charlie, his book and the information within has been proved to be mostly in error. Mostly his material regarding the effect of the moon on the rut. Many state angencies have done thermal imaging studies on whitetal activities in regard to the moon and in particular the effect of the moon on the rut.

Fetal development studies reveal a great deal about the rut. Of interest, and to make it short, here is what those studies have shown. (1) The moon phase no zero...no effect on the start, continuation or peak of the rut. It does not influence activity diurnal or nocturnal. That is effected by weather and in most by temperature. (2) In short, the rut is the same time every year within approximately 10-days. It may be a short or protracted rut and hunter observation depends almost totally on temperature. When it is warm, activity is at night. It is that simple.

Deer do not feed more on a bright moon night. There is no difference in the amount of feeding activity. What may differ slightly is the time of day deer feed. There is some evidence, though no hard fact that deer on a full or bright moon, may feed and travel later in the morning instead of at first light. However, studies done in agricultural fields on both the darkest and the brightest moons (I took part in one of them), indicate no difference in number of deer feeding at night or the length of time they fed. There is not one shred of factual data to prove otherwise.

But it sounds like a great story, doesn't it. And if you want proof, if you live in a state with an aggressive game department, just ask them for information and a copy of their research. It really is that simple.