Deer Hunting Forums banner

venison heart steaks

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  gfdeputy2 
#1 ·
I saved the heart from my last deer as I have heard from past conversations about its palatability. anyone ever had heart before and whats your opinion of it?

#3 ·
I love liver, especially chicken livers wrapped in bacon. but I am somewhat reserved about venison liver for fear of not knowing exactly how to determine exactly what is safe and what aint. maybe it is all for nothing, and I hope it is but with all the nastey stuff out there, its called just being cautious.

#5 ·
I love chicken liver and deer liver is about 3 times better !!
When I field dress I put liver n heat straight in zip lock and on ice if I'm not at home but most my deer I field dress at home so they go straight in a bowl and rinsed off and in the fridge, usually vacume seal the heart and freeze and eat liver next day

#7 ·
I butcher my own venison as well, I took along a zip lock bag on the hunt of my last deer harvest and immediately retrieved the heart from the gut pile and bagged it. I keep 4 solid ice jugs in the cooler in my vehicle and immediately put it on ice when I got back. I steaked it out and packaged it up for freezing and I am now just waiting for the right preparation to come along to get me to thaw it out and do it up. I am going to have to do some research on the liver though.

#10 ·
I never ate any liver I would get sick just smelling mom cook it
heat on the other hand is my FAV. I will take it over the backstrapes or the tendorloins just rinse it out with cold water slice it up & all you really need is Garlic & Butter just do NOT over cook it ENJOY!!!!

#12 ·
All the deer I have shot have had plenty of normal edible parts I never had to worry about eating the inner organs. Does not sound too appealing to me. I have read about it and though about it but I can guarentee that I would be the only one in the house trying it. Maybe some day but not now.

I used to feed my turkey hearts to my pet snapping turtle but she has since takin a swim in the "big water" as my daughter says, the river that is.

#13 ·
Well heres one that will make you think twice.I go to a camp where they have an organ dinner.They eat heart,brains,kidneys ,liver,lungs,and yes the rocky mtn oyster.I partake but only in the heart and liver which is good.I dont see the need for the other stuff and its gross:yucky:

#14 ·
All set on all of that but the heart
I have to say It took me a long time to eat the heart but buddy of mine cooked up some Venison one night as I was eating it he told me what it was nearly got sick but it was really good now NO heart is left in the woods

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.