How do you get big deer. - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:31 AM
B&C 140 Class

QUOTE: *** Deer im my trunk was 142 pound 8 point and the one on the 4 wheeler was a 153 pound 7 point.***

I'm curious as to whether these are live or dressed weights?? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 12:27 PM
B&C 140 Class

I also would love to see some of those pics you got of toms with 15 to 18 inch beards ! 12.5 is the longest I've ever seen and that only had just a few strands of hair to reach that. Once their bears get so long they drag the ground and the ground keeps them pretty much wore back so for you to have beards on pic I REALY would love to see them and would even want to come help you harvest um.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:44 PM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_the_fly View Post
I also would love to see some of those pics you got of toms with 15 to 18 inch beards ! 12.5 is the longest I've ever seen and that only had just a few strands of hair to reach that. Once their bears get so long they drag the ground and the ground keeps them pretty much wore back so for you to have beards on pic I REALY would love to see them and would even want to come help you harvest um.

I'm the same way--- you said you had the 15inchers on cam, I would really like to see them! The longest I've ever seen here in Missouri is 11 inches.. and like ONF said, that was only about 5 strands of beard hanging lower than the rest.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:55 PM

Corn is not a high protein food source. Go to Whitetail Institute.com and do some reading, they will start you out on the right food plot management system. Bucks needs lots of high quality protein during the prime antler growing season. Fawns will benefit from does being feed quality protein and carbs throughout the season. Growing several different crops such as clovers, peas, chickory, for early food, then having wheat, brassicas, oats corn for late fall/winter should be in your plans. The Whitetail Institute has many varieties of plants to help you in your food plot plans. I would expect you to think 3-5 years down the road for seeing the kinds of bucks you are looking for. By the way, those bucks you have shot, to me they are all trophies and the weights maybe a bit on the heavy side for your area? I have two hunting Buddies from NC and they claim the deer are pretty small, 85-100 lbs so I think you have some nice deer for your area!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:03 PM
B&C 120 Class

There are many factors that contribute to big bucks. By that, I assume you mean big antlers. The three ost imposrtant age age, genetics and nutrition. There is nothing you can do about genetics. You either have it or you don't.

You can improve nutrition but not by dumping some magic potion out or putting a magic block on a stump. To improve nutrition you either spend a ton of money on a large tract of land or you have good soil to start with. You can't grow big antlers on poor soil. You can improve what you have with fertilizer but not by much.

However, of the three factors, age may be the most difficult to improve unless you own or control a significant number of contiguos acres. If you don't have sufficient land, I deem 2,000 acres to be sufficient, no matter what you do, it won't make much difference. It is hard to allow a buck to reach 4.5 years. Mix into all this, to reach a proper sex ratio, you have to shoot does. So state regs come into play. Any state will allow you to pass up young bucks but not many allow you to kill does at will.

When you do let a buck reach that magic age at which you can begin to tell something about his antlers, you may never see him. Unfortunately, as deer age, the more wary and nocturnal they become. Also, in thinning your doe heard to reach a proper sex ratio, all the deer become more wary.

Bottom line is, you probably have better bucks than yout hink, they just don't get killed. But if you don't live in an area that can nutritionally produce big bucks, you probably never will. I would guess the area you live in would make it next to impossible to produce deer with live weights over 200 pounds. A 3.5-yr.old buck from your area should typically field dress in the 125-140 pound range and antler size would not be what you are looking for.

Look at the states in the midwest. Iowa-no gun hunting during the rut, no centerfire rifles. IL-No rifles, Ohio-Shotgun/mzl only and so on. But to add to this, all those states have tremendous soil and therefore the crops and natural browse are first class. Move south and as the soil quality declines, deer, regardless of age, are not as large bodied (Brugeman's Law) nor do they develop aslarge antlers regardless of age. A few exceptions are found in river bottom lands that are carefully managed.

So...save your moneyu and book a Midwest hunt.

Last edited by scribe; 12-02-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

Only was able to find one pic. My other hobby besides hunting is Gaming so just got a new PC for that and lost most of them. I was able to find one pic I emailed to my dad. Only reason I had those deer pics is cause I also emailed them out as well. I did set my camera up where I saw the big ones hopefully will have some pics when I check it tomorrow. This is one of the smaller turkeys I have seen so the beard is pretty small compared to the others. Also I know next to nothing about turkey hunting dont even know if this is a shooter.

Last edited by thomasmgp; 12-02-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:30 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe View Post
To improve nutrition you either spend a ton of money on a large tract of land or you have good soil to start with. You can't grow big antlers on poor soil. You can improve what you have with fertilizer but not by much.
I dont know how people define "Large tract" but we have around 400-450 acres. The soil is very fertile we rotate crops to ensure this as we are farmers first and hunters second.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:11 PM
B&C 140 Class

"you either spend a ton of money on a large tract of land or you have good soil to start with"

What happens if you have neither a large tract of land nor good soil to start with??? I live on 15 acres with the house sitting on the 'front' 5 acres. With the way the neighbors built their houses, don't have but one place to safely shoot any more. But there are no high fences within 5 or 6 miles, so the deer migrate around as they forage for food.
Good soil?? The plat of land I live on is called "Hilltop Acres" for a good reason - it's on a ridge line overlooking a valley. Ridge lines mean only two or three inches of topsoil before hitting bedrock.
But the deer are plentiful and I'm grateful to be living where I can still shoot deer only 5 minutes out my back door. I don't hunt for 'trophy'. I hunt to put food in the freezer. If I get a 'trophy' (okay, so I got one on opening day that could easily be called a 'trophy' buck), then it's the icing on the cake so to speak.
We do get one (trophy buck) passing through occasionally, and even then occasionally manage to put it into the freezer. But it's spending the time in the woods, sometimes with and sometimes without the children that matters to me the most.

Well that's my $.02 worth on the subject anyway . . . . .

RR