Deer Hunting Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What scent control clothes do you where?

5K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Turbo68 
#1 ·
There are so many different scent control companies out there right now, which company do you like the most?

#3 ·
I do it the same way as Tator, I buy any sort of hunting clothes but I always use special detergents and sprays to help eliminate scents/odors.

The "special" scent control clothing to me is gimmicky and over priced, I have too many other ways to spend my money rather than waste it unnecessarily.

#6 ·
I wear the same clothes I was wearing before all that came out. I use no commercial "scent killer". I realized many years ago it can't be done. You can't eliminate human odor. I hunt in tennis shoes in warm weather and to my knowledge, have never had a deer spook at where I put my feet.

I wash my clothes in Tide Free-it contains no scents or dyes. I air/sun dry them outdoors. I use my tennys only for hunting and wading creeks for smallmouth and they too get a regular washing and air drying. I shower before I go to the woods and wear no deodorant of any kind.

AND I PLAY THE WIND!

The cost is minimal and I seldom get blown out.

#9 ·
I agree with tator, I buy the camo I want and use wildlife research spray before I walk to my stand. I also use detergent and store everything in the basement in containers until I'm ready to use them. I guess it's just according to what kind of area you hunt and wether or not you plan on havin close encounters with deer!

#11 · (Edited)
I found some good deals on some quality Medalist clothing with Silvermax anti-bacterial smell control. I ended up with two camo long-sleeve undershirts, one regular button up camo shirt and one pair of camo pants (not usually worn). I like the stuff a lot and it seems to work fine. All my hunting clothes are washed and hung outside for at least two days before wearing. During good weather I'll hang it outside between hunts and at night or in bad weather I keep it stowed in camo duffle bags that have a good layer of dry leaves in the bottom, imparting a slight woods/dry leaf smell to them. I normally only use scent-control spray under my arms (over the clothes) and in/on my hat.

I wear a Scent-lok head cover most days (also bought on sale). I never wear the same hat in my stand that I walked in wearing, that hat goes into my pack when the clean one comes out. These things have worked well thus far this season with no less than 5 nice bucks within 5 yards of my stand (two 8 pnts have ridden home with me, so far) and more does within 15 yards than I care to try and count.

#12 ·
Yup I am w/ Tator wildlife research spray is a heck of a lot cheaper then the scent killer clothes use the laundry detergent & shampoo/body wash also

#13 ·
I spent my money on quality clothes not scent control advertisements. A $5.00 bottle of scent killer makes every hunting outfit better. I don't see a need to spend extra money on so called scent eliminator clothes. Scent control is what you make it, I have my method which works well for me.

#14 ·
Just an FYI for all of you... buy all your scent sprays, body washes, and detergents after the season is over with when it's marked down- and make sure you buy more than enough for next season. I use the Scent-Away (green liquid) body soap but I'm not paying that price for them. I wait till hunting season is over with it all goes to half price. Done that now for 4-5 years. The detergent is the booger to get... trying to find that half off or even discounted is tough.

#15 ·
all the "special" scent control clothing are over priced. You can do the same thing by washing them in a proper detergent and putting a proper spray on them. No reason to spend the extra money unless you have extra money. I do it myself. I know it done right. I also think buying every toy to save time and money is kinda cheating. I think there should be effort in hunting. Its part of the process.

#18 ·
I also think buying every toy to save time and money is kinda cheating. I think there should be effort in hunting. Its part of the process.
I for one cannot afford every toy. there are some toys I really wish I could afford. but anything that saves me time and money that I can afford and I have evaluated as worthwhile purchase I dont really consider cheating. I put a lot of time and effort into my hunting season and it dont end at the pre harvest effort either. the harvest is a whole nother scenario of efforts.

No disrespect to your opinion, just clarifying mine.

#16 ·
im trying out a new scent killer spray called Final Step. Got my order in yesterday and holy cow the cedar smells just like when i am out cutting wood LOL! Does scent killer stuff work? Who knows, but i feel its better to smell like a tree than it is to smell like downy or mornings breakfast.

#20 ·
I will admit I have thought about buying the scent-loc stuff but I also buy the cheap camo wash it with the scent eliminator, spray down before heading into the woods with dead down wind or the like. But I do like using the waffers also. Either the earth smell or white acorns pinned to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.