Is my meat bad now? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:08 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default Is my meat bad now?

ok so i got my first deer this saturday. While gutting him i got cut through the intestines a lil and got "some" fecal and urine also around some places. I dont know exactlly where it hit but the guy i went with who was sort of new at gutting deer said it would be ok. I have alot of meat that we grinded into hamburger so its all mixed together. My question is should i be ok eating this if or should i throw it all out or what? Thanks for your help yall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 08:19 PM
B&C 140 Class

It would not had hurt anything to have little mishaps like that when field dressing but it would have been a wise choice to have hosed the deer down best you can and then pat dry if your hanging, now if it's been a few days I would most likely cut out an inch or so out of the rear, would real be hard to say what I would do without seeing
Old 11-28-2011, 08:32 PM
B&C 100 Class

well the deer was hung up over night then had the meat taken off. He washed it very well he says then i went over and we grinded all the meat in a grinder.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:39 PM
B&C 140 Class

If you trust him, in him saying he washed the meat out REALY well it will be just fine. IMO
Old 11-28-2011, 08:48 PM
B&C 100 Class

ok kewl. well we will eat some of it and give some away cause i have got alot more then we can handle.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

injuns used to eat guts right out of dead buffalo they just shot after they squeezed the poo out. Urine was a dip for the raw liver they ate as well. Mmmmm mmmm!
Old 11-29-2011, 09:15 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierGander View Post
injuns used to eat guts right out of dead buffalo they just shot after they squeezed the poo out. Urine was a dip for the raw liver they ate as well. Mmmmm mmmm!

Ok I just vomited in my mouth a little...

No, the meat should be fine. I accidentally cut into the intestines as well from time to time, it just happens. just make sure you wash the cavity out really well with a hose after field dressing. Good luck to you
Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 AM
B&C 140 Class

"No, the meat should be fine. I accidentally cut into the intestines as well from time to time, it just happens. just make sure you wash the cavity out really well with a hose after field dressing. Good luck to you"

I'll second that . . . Knicked the intestines on the last buck I dressed. Propped him up against a low brick wall and washed his 'innards' out for several minutes when done. You should be just fine.

RR
Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 PM
B&C 100 Class

ok awesome.... well my wife made me deer chili and its pretty good. so spoons up.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Scrub Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrader2002 View Post
"No, the meat should be fine. I accidentally cut into the intestines as well from time to time, it just happens. just make sure you wash the cavity out really well with a hose after field dressing. Good luck to you"

I'll second that . . . Knicked the intestines on the last buck I dressed. Propped him up against a low brick wall and washed his 'innards' out for several minutes when done. You should be just fine.

RR
I agree. I've been butchering for 35 years with my father, who grew up on a self-sufficient farm in the 40's and 50's. We've had occasions where intestines, bladder, etc., have been compromised and a good washing in plain water will take care of it. Next time, if you do nick something while field dressing, finish cleaning it, wash with copious amounts of water, and let it hang for a couple days. If something is bad, you'll smell it.