tired - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:39 PM
B&C 160 Class

Default tired

im realy starting to think that if i get skunked again this year im gona have to take a brake frome hunting. tired of going out there every chance i get, just to get skunked year after year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 07:26 PM
B&C 120 Class

I feel your pain. I'm starting to think I'm jinxed.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 AM
B&C 160 Class

and before anyone post it. yes i know its called hunting, not killing. and yes i know getting out into the woods even when you dont get somthing. but the sucsess rate hear in NH is somwere around 1%. and seeing one or two deer that i cant even shoot at per season gets old real quick.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:53 AM
B&C 140 Class

If the deer hunting was that tough here I would either not deer hunt or pick a travel hunt in another state. Which would probably cost me a marriage caz I'd spend my vacation time off hunting. Lol
Old 11-27-2011, 04:31 AM
B&C 160 Class

That's tough hunting. Hang in there.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:14 PM
B&C 140 Class

I hear you hunt NH. and I am weary of that cliche as well. no one goes deer hunting with the intent to not kill a deer. I have seen exactly what you are describing the last 4 outings and I thought I was sitting in a potential slaughter house this year. Im not seeing anything while in the stand and very little on trail cam, and what is, will never get shot during it activity time.

you have to have the occasional rewards to fuel the fire.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM
B&C 120 Class

I'm new on here but dadgum old to hunting. I guess I am fortunate in that I really can't recall a year when I was totally skunked. I killed my first one in 1954. However, for many years, I was not too particular about what I killed. I had years I did not kill a buck over 130 but I did kill a doe or two.

I no longer hunt horns at all but I can understand someone being skunked if they discriminating in what they shoot. That said, If a hunter is just hunting for a deer and continues to be skunked, I would suggest he closely examine what he is doing.

I'll hush now, forgive an old guy for rambling.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:43 PM
B&C 140 Class

I am, as I have stated in many past postings, A venison hunter first and everything else is a bonus. and since opening weekend, I have not seen a legally shootable deer. things are really disappointing on what initially looked to be a banner year. had I not shot a buck the first weekend, hunt NH would be replying to my post so-named, Tired.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 11-27-2011, 04:28 PM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
I hear you hunt NH. and I am weary of that cliche as well. no one goes deer hunting with the intent to not kill a deer. I have seen exactly what you are describing the last 4 outings and I thought I was sitting in a potential slaughter house this year. Im not seeing anything while in the stand and very little on trail cam, and what is, will never get shot during it activity time.

you have to have the occasional rewards to fuel the fire.
with all due respect. this is not what im facing. i could stand getting skunked for a year or two. and only seeing a deer once every 4 or 5 outings. but this year i went out opening day (wich was a wednesday) end gone out bolth saterday and sundays each weekend sence. yesterday i saw what i thought might have been a deer, but am not shure. last year i hunted just as activly, but through bolth muzzel loader and rifle season. i saw one doe durring shooting hrs, but could not shoot it leagley with a gun. and i saw a few bucks chaising her after legal shooting hrs had ended. the season before that i hunted bow, muzzle loader, and rifle. (again just as activly throughout all three seasons) and saw nothing all season. season before that............ ya its been a wile. my brother inlaw is also an avid hunter. its been three years sence his last kill. a friend of mine got his first deer this year after hunting for 6 years. and o got alot of firends who hunt, and only one of them got one last year. none besides the guy mentioned above got any this year. only one of them last year, and none the year before. i work with several hunters, none have got any this year, none last year. iv been hunting sence the season of 1999, and have only killed 2 deer. one in 2000, and one 4 years back (and i wasent even hunting at the time i shot it). i was out wheeling my bronco, saw one and just happened to have a gun with me. dont worry i broke no laws doing so, and it was an ethical shot, and a clean kill. (just pointing out that i wasent "hunting" at the time.) so ya last time i killed a deer wile hunting was 11 years ago. and this is not from being too selective. this is hunting wiith the mentality that if its leagle, and i am offered an ethical shot, that i will take it. a few times, and i do mean only a few times in the last 11 years i have seen shootable deer wile out hunting and passed only because i was not offered an ethical shot. its brutal hear. so i hate to sound like im complaining but ya sitting in the woods, day after day, year after year and not seeing deer is getting old. and im tired.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:34 PM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe View Post
I'm new on here but dadgum old to hunting. I guess I am fortunate in that I really can't recall a year when I was totally skunked. I killed my first one in 1954. However, for many years, I was not too particular about what I killed. I had years I did not kill a buck over 130 but I did kill a doe or two.

I no longer hunt horns at all but I can understand someone being skunked if they discriminating in what they shoot. That said, If a hunter is just hunting for a deer and continues to be skunked, I would suggest he closely examine what he is doing.

I'll hush now, forgive an old guy for rambling.
trust me i have examined, and re examined my hunting. read books on it, talked to guys hear about it, learned form everay teachable experiance in the woods that i can. im not claiming to be a hunting guru, but i know what i am doing. i know im scent free. (iv had coyotee under my stand wile hunting and there nose is just as good as a deer) and i know im not amking to much noise or moving too much. (iv had wild turky under my stand, ad there just as good at picking up on movment). i dont over call, but i do use calls some. its just that i live in a place were there are not as many deer as in most parts of the country, and there are alot of "big woods" for them to hide in.