tired - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:17 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt NH View Post
trust me i have examined, and re examined my hunting. read books on it, talked to guys hear about it, learned form everay teachable experiance in the woods that i can. im not claiming to be a hunting guru, but i know what i am doing. i know im scent free. (iv had coyotee under my stand wile hunting and there nose is just as good as a deer) and i know im not amking to much noise or moving too much. (iv had wild turky under my stand, ad there just as good at picking up on movment). i dont over call, but i do use calls some. its just that i live in a place were there are not as many deer as in most parts of the country, and there are alot of "big woods" for them to hide in.
Just a thought. Could it be you are paying too much attention to things like scent, noise and calling and not enough attention to deer travel and food sources the things that really count. Calling, contrary to many popular outdoor shows and articles can easily be as much a deterrent as an atractant. Truth is, it spooks far more deer than it brings in.

In areas where deer density is thin and hunting pressure is high, deer very quickly become nocturnal. That makes it tough. You cannot overcome that by being scent free or being quiet or calling. But the main ingredient in deer hunting success is proper scouting. If you have not prepared the seed bed, the flowers won't grow. If you don't know what the preferred food sources are and how the deer get to them and when...you are not likely to see many deer. In January, I will do 90% of my scouting for next season.

If I have scouted well, I will know not only where to place my stands but how to position them. All that remains is knowing when to hunt them. Often midday is prime time. If it is an agricultural food source, afternoon is usually best.

Sometimes instead of watching a tv show or reading a magazine article, that time might be better spent in the woods studying such things as food, cover, terrain and structure. Those are the only four factors that determine everything a whitetail does. On my number one place, I have two stands, less than 100-yards apart. In 12 years, I have killed 23 deer from one and 13 from the other. They are 12-foot ladder stands and the deer were about equal between bow and firearm. They are in a thicket of about 15 acres total. There is almost no rubbing or scraping in the entire thicket. Most hunters would not even bother to hunt there. But for the deer to get to their primary food source and back to their main area, they must pass through it. All four factors that control their movement meet in that one thicket.

Sorry for rambling, I'm a writer by profession.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 07:32 PM

Sorry about your pain HuntNH. Has any other local hunters had the same outcome as you? Or is there a different area you can have access to? Any hunting camps and such?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:49 AM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe View Post
Just a thought. Could it be you are paying too much attention to things like scent, noise and calling and not enough attention to deer travel and food sources the things that really count. Calling, contrary to many popular outdoor shows and articles can easily be as much a deterrent as an atractant. Truth is, it spooks far more deer than it brings in.

In areas where deer density is thin and hunting pressure is high, deer very quickly become nocturnal. That makes it tough. You cannot overcome that by being scent free or being quiet or calling. But the main ingredient in deer hunting success is proper scouting. If you have not prepared the seed bed, the flowers won't grow. If you don't know what the preferred food sources are and how the deer get to them and when...you are not likely to see many deer. In January, I will do 90% of my scouting for next season.

If I have scouted well, I will know not only where to place my stands but how to position them. All that remains is knowing when to hunt them. Often midday is prime time. If it is an agricultural food source, afternoon is usually best.

Sometimes instead of watching a tv show or reading a magazine article, that time might be better spent in the woods studying such things as food, cover, terrain and structure. Those are the only four factors that determine everything a whitetail does. On my number one place, I have two stands, less than 100-yards apart. In 12 years, I have killed 23 deer from one and 13 from the other. They are 12-foot ladder stands and the deer were about equal between bow and firearm. They are in a thicket of about 15 acres total. There is almost no rubbing or scraping in the entire thicket. Most hunters would not even bother to hunt there. But for the deer to get to their primary food source and back to their main area, they must pass through it. All four factors that control their movement meet in that one thicket.

Sorry for rambling, I'm a writer by profession.
yup done all them things.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:50 AM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberghost View Post
Sorry about your pain HuntNH. Has any other local hunters had the same outcome as you? Or is there a different area you can have access to? Any hunting camps and such?
yup. in one of my post i talked about this being the norm in this state.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:13 AM

I know where HuntNH is coming from as I am also from NH yall need to understand the state of NH we have a heard of approx 60,000 deer we have well into the 100,000 hunters in the state bow season you can shoot either sex Muzzleloading & rifle it is pretty much buck only (depending on where you are in the state you could get up to the first 3 days of the season to harvest either sex some have 0 days. I have been where huntNH has been I started hunting when I was 16 I harvested my first deer in 2001 (14 years later) I only really hunted with a firearm so it was pretty much buck only as most know NH is a small state so with that many people in the woods it doesn't take the deer long to figure out it is hunting season. this is why I am now back into bow hunting & more serious about it then I ever was & why I had turned into a meat hunter rather then a trophy hunter ( even though there are a lot of trophies to be had here ) I have scored more deer now with my bow then I have with my firearms & with high priced licenses I know it can get fustrating
So HuntNH all I can say is Hang in there I really know where you are coming from & this is why I spend more time hunting early bow season less hunters & either sex also why I hunt western NY
Good Luck

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 11-28-2011, 09:01 AM
B&C 180 Class

Hunt NH... are you finding signs of deer in and around the woods you hunt? I feel your pain man, and you're right, if it had been 11 years since I last shot a deer while out hunting for them, I'd do one of two things... quit or move to another state! Now, that said, if you are finding sign of deer in your area, I would not give up. I guess all I can offer you is good luck and I hope you have more success soon!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:43 AM
B&C 140 Class

That is tough and I don't blame you for feeling that way. I will say that I'm glad I decided to settle here where I have in northern Tennessee. I hunted Maine quite a few years and even N.H. one year. I had luck 50% of the times I was in Maine. I also once travelled there, hunted two full weeks and never saw a deer.

Here we have a very healthy population (about 1,000,000) and deer sightings are pretty frequent. Our rifle season runs for 6 full weeks and just prior to that we had a two week M/L season. Our bag limit is 3 does a day for the entire season (with proper licenses) and additional does taken cost nothing. We are also allowed 3 bucks per season.

Living so close to the border, I also hunt Kentucky and although our Ky area holds just as many deer in it as our Tennessee areas, the bag limit is one buck & one doe (additional doe tags available for more $$).

All that being said, it's a shame that the N.H. DNR cannot do anything to try and increase populations there. People I've spoken with recently in Maine when I've gone up for bear in September tell me that Maine's population seems to be declining as well. Too many harsh winters lately?

I would also be the first to admit that the "Big Woods" hunting you all have up there is more difficult than the typical farm/woods hunting we have here. The smaller tracts of land with lots of food typically available keep herds healthy and deer numbers high. Big Woods hunting is tough, without a doubt!
Old 11-29-2011, 02:15 AM
B&C 160 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
Hunt NH... are you finding signs of deer in and around the woods you hunt? I feel your pain man, and you're right, if it had been 11 years since I last shot a deer while out hunting for them, I'd do one of two things... quit or move to another state! Now, that said, if you are finding sign of deer in your area, I would not give up. I guess all I can offer you is good luck and I hope you have more success soon!
yes i have good sighn. from one of my stands i can see a small rub line, and two scrapes, and also the exact spot i found that realy clumpy scat. at my other stand you have to watch your step so you dont step in a pile of scat. moving out of state is just not an option. NH's hunting my stink but it offers one of the highest quality of living. extreemly low crime rate, good schools, good jobs. pluss i got a ton of family hear. what i am thinking is insted of what im doing now. (hunting hear as much as i can. using up all my Vacation from work to hunt, and turning down Over time to hunt.) what i might do is not hunt next year. rake in all the OT i want derring hunting season sence all my co workers hunt. then the year after that take all the saved $$$ and the extera$$$ from working all next hunting season. then plan a trip down south to hunt for a week.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:29 AM
B&C 140 Class

That's what I suggest, maybe even you and a few buddies go in on a lease and just lease the hunting rights out on a pice of land in another state. Then you all would have an official "deer camp". Here in ky hunting land lease runs around 10 to 15 dollars an acre. But usually not offered any smaller than abouth 150 acres, but if you got like 4 people going in on it that wouldn't be so bad. There are places online to find hunting leases but might be easier and maybe cheaper to find someone on here that could hook you up with a contact in an area close to we're you would want to travel to. Good luck
Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt NH View Post
yes i have good sighn. from one of my stands i can see a small rub line, and two scrapes, and also the exact spot i found that realy clumpy scat. at my other stand you have to watch your step so you dont step in a pile of scat. moving out of state is just not an option. NH's hunting my stink but it offers one of the highest quality of living. extreemly low crime rate, good schools, good jobs. pluss i got a ton of family hear. what i am thinking is insted of what im doing now. (hunting hear as much as i can. using up all my Vacation from work to hunt, and turning down Over time to hunt.) what i might do is not hunt next year. rake in all the OT i want derring hunting season sence all my co workers hunt. then the year after that take all the saved $$$ and the extera$$$ from working all next hunting season. then plan a trip down south to hunt for a week.

That sounds like a good idea--- come down to Iowa or Missouri- you're sure to see plenty of deer in those two states