Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   The Lodge (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/)
-   -   wrong sents wrong time (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/871-wrong-sents-wrong-time.html)

dennisrhubbard 10-27-2007 09:51 PM

wrong sents wrong time

i took a frend hunting with me last weekend later found he walked across the whole lease pulling a drag with doe n heat &dom buck lure he also said he spiked a few spots with doe estrus we are still a good three weeks from the rut what effect will this have on the erea i did not see as manny deer today as usualy this is the only spot i have to hunt what can i do to fix this
someone please help

timberghost 10-27-2007 11:46 PM

I do that all the time year after year well before the rut thinking that I'll trigger a good response from "the first doe in heat being hounded by a buck". I don't think that you need to fix anything and you should be alright as long as the area you're hunting holds deer because all does will need breeding and most likely have bucks in persuit as soon as your area rut begins. Also, your friend may have left human scent along his drag trails which could've put the deer on high alert and hindered movement. Or the bucks aren't too aggressive just yet to come in to a dominant buck intruder and may not even be that interested in the scent of a hot doe just yet. I pass this on to you only as my personal experience with that type of situation so I won't say that these are all facts about the deer and the rutting behavior. Hope that this helped you out a little. GOOD LUCK.

AJHunter 10-28-2007 07:58 AM

Hi Friend,

I would have to agree with timberghosts assessment on this one. Doe and buck urine is a common scent to all deer. Besides I'm sure does' don't all come into heat at the same time, so the smell of estrus shouldn't bother anything. The rut is on its way and the deer know it I'm sure.

2 people in the woods make twice as much noise as one, so if I had to guess why you saw less animal activity, that would be it.

AJHunter

BruceBruce1959 10-28-2007 08:47 AM

Yeppers, I agree with Timberghost and AJHunter.. Any scents you left behind are almost all gone after 12 - 18 hours and probably totally gone after 18 - 24 hours..
My advice is to Stay as still as possible, keep quiet and stay focused on the hunt.. If there are any Deer in the area (which you know there are) you'll eventually see them..... patience and persistance is what pays off....

Good Luck

buckfever 10-28-2007 08:58 AM

:goodposting:

all well said above me. i agree with them also. dont worry about it.

dennisrhubbard 10-28-2007 10:39 AM

thanks guys

I am new to this site and comp's as well,please forgive my erras
I scolded my buddy but we still hunt together I took it for granted he knew better.Not saying Iknow it all! this his second year to hunt and everyone learns from mistakes God knows I have made a bunch! I only have 2 more weekends to hunt then I have to change job locations,so I am a little ansie.Glad I found this site GOOD LUCK & GOOD HUNTIN

timberghost 10-28-2007 12:37 PM

My old man once said and still does say "just when you think you know deer and have them fooled they can show you what you know and what a fool you are at any given time". I hate when he's right. To me deer hunting is a LUCKY GIFT. Hopefully we'll all get a little lucky this season, right?

buckle12 10-30-2007 02:00 AM

i think i would tell my buddy that i'm sorry and take more time in explaning things to him.....he'll learn fast......i had to learn everything on my own and it worked with a lot of reading:thumbup:

BruceBruce1959 10-30-2007 05:31 AM

It's all good... Deer will come and go but Hunting Buddies last forever....

joel the signman 10-30-2007 08:08 PM

use those scents sparingly.you put some on a drag rag or the bottom of your boots.A good rule of thumb is if YOU can really smell it your using too much.dont worry the deer will come back yall were probable having too much fun and talking to loud and spooked em