whats a good time - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Scrub Buck

Smile hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
I try to always get into my stand 1 hour before sun-up. Legal shooting time in Missouri starts 30 min before sun-up so that gives me 30 min to get situated and as silent as I can.
Coming out, I usually come out right when shooting light has faded and I can't see through my sights whether rifle or bow. Now, I do this as quietly as I can and I make sure there are no deer around before I exit. But I don't wait until it's completely dark.
Thanks a lot for your in put, i am 59 yr's old been hunting about 40 yr's can't do hang-on but with a climber it's easier on the knees and bad back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 12:16 PM

Because I hunt mostly from ladder stands I go in 30-40 minutes before daylight. No matter how careful you are jumping deer is always an issue that we can't predict nor fool them in their own back yard. They will be back and most times just wait you out and return to their normal activities. I leave when I can't see anymore and try to time it when I'm not seeing or hearing any woods movement. I'm also in the upper 50's and like ladder stands for safety reasons. I have a new climber but just haven't got the nerve to use it yet. It's going down to S. Ohio so we'll see maybe I'll try it. I use a modest fanny pack to pack all my gear into.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Scrub Buck

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever View Post
That stinks getting your stands stolen. I think you will find the climber to be more comfortable though.

I have a little bag.. this one---> http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/hunti...l-pack-review/

I usually throw a water bottle, snacks and my gut knife in that bag. My calls and spare ammo are usually in my pockets. Before I climb my tree I attach my bag to my top rack of my stand.

As far as what time I get in the woods and leave. I like to get there early but am usually running behind and make it right before daylight. In the evening I hunt until I cannot shoot anymore. I have a head lamp I use to come down out of my tree so I can see everything.

Use a harness. You dont want your stand to slip or something and go a falling!
Thanks for your in-put i will see who cares it great idea good hunting
Old 11-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Scrub Buck

Thumbs up thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigevil1 View Post
i get out after its completely dark. in it usually b4 daybreak. i do take an afternoon break though.
Thanks for your in-put
Old 11-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Scrub Buck

Talking thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Because I hunt mostly from ladder stands I go in 30-40 minutes before daylight. No matter how careful you are jumping deer is always an issue that we can't predict nor fool them in their own back yard. They will be back and most times just wait you out and return to their normal activities. I leave when I can't see anymore and try to time it when I'm not seeing or hearing any woods movement. I'm also in the upper 50's and like ladder stands for safety reasons. I have a new climber but just haven't got the nerve to use it yet. It's going down to S. Ohio so we'll see maybe I'll try it. I use a modest fanny pack to pack all my gear into.
thanks, it is a little scary but once you do it, it's great
Old 11-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Scrub Buck

Smile thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
thanks for the info. and good hunting