The clocks slowly ticking by - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Scrub Buck

Smile The clocks slowly ticking by

Hello the Michigan firearm season starts in less than 12 hours now, and I'm trying to get opinions on where to sit in the morning. I have two stands that are going to see deer, what what kind of deer (bucks/does) is yet to be seen. One stand over looks a tall grass field and has 5-7 scrapes around the edges and several runs along the way as well. The other stand sits back in the woods over looking a swamp with a bunch of thick brush, but yet again multiple scrapes and rubs in the area. I know the deer will be a bit hesitant once the shooting starts but they usually aren't too bad until the shooting from our property starts. Thanks for any input in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 09:41 AM
B&C 180 Class

Your firearms season starts on a Tuesday??? I've never heard of that... Our always starts on a Saturday.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:58 AM

Tator
ours (NH) always starts on a Wed. my area has 3 days of doe season then Buck only yup you guessed it the doe season is the first 3 days Wed - Fri when most are at work. I think starting in the middle of the week the deer get a chance to figure out the season has started LOL

"If George Washington was asked for his I.D. do you think he just wipped out a quarter?"
Steven Wright
Old 11-15-2011, 11:12 AM
B&C 180 Class

well honestly, I would like that. That first saturday here in MO it's CRAZY! you hear constant gun shots ALL day long on Saturday. If it were in the middle of the week, I'd take off and go then! There would be plenty of people who couldn't get off work!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:08 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by blair712 View Post
Hello the Michigan firearm season starts in less than 12 hours now, and I'm trying to get opinions on where to sit in the morning. I have two stands that are going to see deer, what what kind of deer (bucks/does) is yet to be seen. One stand over looks a tall grass field and has 5-7 scrapes around the edges and several runs along the way as well. The other stand sits back in the woods over looking a swamp with a bunch of thick brush, but yet again multiple scrapes and rubs in the area. I know the deer will be a bit hesitant once the shooting starts but they usually aren't too bad until the shooting from our property starts. Thanks for any input in advance
Well, I'm a little late with advice(?), but I think I would have chosen the stand with the best view (fields) for opening morning, then reverted back to the woods, maybe day #2, if there had been a lot of commotion around. I hope you were successful with whichever stand you selected!

For the afternoon hunt, I'd definitely go with the stand in the woods.

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:22 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
well honestly, I would like that. That first saturday here in MO it's CRAZY! you hear constant gun shots ALL day long on Saturday. If it were in the middle of the week, I'd take off and go then! There would be plenty of people who couldn't get off work!
me too! i would love a midweek start.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Scrub Buck

Default No luck for me today

Sat in the stand over looking the field and passed up several small scrub bucks, saw 27 does, and one absolute giant that was chasing a doe pretty good. With no shot on him I sat back and just let the day roll on by. After the giant left the field, I heard a shot come from the direction of where my dad was sitting and thought for sure it was the big buck that I watched in the field, turns out it was just a 7 point, 187 pounds. On the good side, I did shoot a a biggen last night mid afternoon :)

and in response to opening day being on the weekend, it happens sometimes here but it is always on the 15th of November. But I will say the first saturday of the season is pretty much opening day #2 haha

2011 Bow buck November 14th
Old 11-15-2011, 04:04 PM
B&C 100 Class

Thumbs up

very nice 9!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:04 PM

Nice looking deer!!!! Back to your original question. I would sit the swamp stand only when the wind blows at you away from the swamp.