Tough opening day - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 PM
B&C 180 Class

Default Tough opening day

Well, right now I have mixed emotions. Wish I could go back in time because I'd not spend the entire day outside to see NO DEER what-so-ever until the last 15 min of daylight. First day of firearms season was a disapointment to say the least.
Conditions here are horrible. Highs in the upper 60's with winds blowing ALL day long. Constant 5-10mph winds all day with gusts up to 35mph. PLUS, the wind was blowing out of the south/southwest, which all my firearm-set-ups are facing the north for a north wind. Didn't hear many shots today at all. Probably 1/4 of what I normally hear.
With about 45 minutes of daylight to go, I decide to leave the woods (after a 4 hour sit of seeing NOTHING except 10 coons) and go for a walk on a different part of the property that I don't hunt much b/c it's out of the way. Well low and behold, I see a doe right away but she was already at the fence line and jumped over and walked into the woods. Then I saw another deer with about 10 min of daylight left. This deer was bigger than the first and I thought it was a nice doe. Shot once, and hit a limb and the deer just spooked but didn't run. Shot second time and hit a little far back but it stumbled and fell right where I shot it. Bad news- it was a button buck. Didn't want to shot a button buck but we'll take the meat. There's just no way to see the dog-gone bumps on his head. Plus he was a BIG button buck. If he were a doe, he'd have been bigger than a medium sized doe. Got him dressed and cleaned and taking him to the processor after supper. Tator's on the board.... and tired
Old 11-12-2011, 09:06 PM

congrats on the harvest.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:31 PM
B&C 140 Class

Congrats on the harvest !! It was windy here too 10 to 15 mph, and tomorrow calling for 25 with gust up to 35 mph. So this old boy is staying home tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:44 PM
B&C 140 Class

Congrats Tator, you're on the board.

Was windy the past couple of days here, too. Am hoping for better conditions next weekend.

RR
Old 11-13-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
congrats on the harvest.
x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:02 PM
B&C 140 Class

Congrats on your harvest Tator. Weather was bad for our Kentucky opener as well. I saw a few deer in the AM including a huge buck that was all broken up. Five points on one side with G3 & G4 broken. The other side? Broken off at the skull. He was a huge stud of an animal though! Hope he makes it through the season til next. He walked 5 yards behind my new stand

Afternoon was very windy and slow. I checked my watch mid-afternoon and figured they'd start moving around three. At 3:20 I turned to see a nice buck trotting through the woods about 115 yards away. He followed the trail I figured he would and 2 mins later was right behind my stand. I couldn't decide for sure whether to drop the hammer, but as he was about to leave I shot.

First harvest with my CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62 turned out to be a nice Kentucky 8 and the rifle put the smackdown on him The good part, I've got another nice 8 now this season. The bad, no more buck tags for Kentucky...lol. I've still got a doe tag for Ky and have two more buck tags for Tn, however.

Wish you great luck today Tator!!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:45 PM

congrats Turner on the buck harvest. Sounds like you have a nice chunk of land to hunt.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:59 PM
B&C 160 Class

Tenderloins in the skillet, congrtas. Th SW wind has been an issue for me all week long.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:09 PM
B&C 180 Class

well I ended up staying in last night and not hunting. Played with my kids and had a good evening. btw- at 3:30pm the 30+mph came to an end. Trees were at a stand still and temp dropped 10+ degrees. Talk about being mad.

But if I could go back in time, I'd still stay home. Taught my 3 y/o how to slam DUNK on his 4ft goal! haha
Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM
B&C 100 Class

pretty much the same weather in s mo. except it got warmer!