Here's a topic I'd like to discuss, youth hunt weekends. Now before everything thinks I'm against letting youngsters hunt, I'M NOT! I think this is a great idea and I absolutely agree with having a youth hunt weekend or even WEEK where only youth can hunt. That is the perfect thing for them to get them excited and enrolled in deer hunting university.
My concern lyes solely with Missouri's timing of the youth hunt. Each year, we start our main firearms season in the early-mid November. This year it start this upcoming weekend (12th). Youth season has always been the weekend before
this start of firearms season (last weekend, Nov 5 and 6). I completely understand Missouri's reasoning behind holding this youth hunt during this time period- the rut is beginning and many deer are up on their feet all hours of the day. Therefore, youngsters are going to see deer, they are going to be successful and they are going to have fun.
Here's my question though. Why not have this same hunt, the weekend AFTER
the 10 day firearms hunting season is over? Our firearms season will end this year on Tuesday, November 22. There will still be plenty of deer out and about because the rut will be ending and it is even doe season for firearms hunters.
Here are some valid arguments against having the hunt the weekend before firearms season starts:
1. More wounded bucks/does because some (not all) youngsters cannot shoot as well as adults
2. More large bucks are taken by youth hunters when many times it's the adults who put in the time, money and hard work to get the deer to come to their property. (in my case, my neighbor has about 10 kids he lets hunt)
3. There are MANY unethical cases where dad gets his child's tags and goes rifle hunting on his own.
4. Youth typically do not have good scent control so therefore your hunting ground could get contaminated
5. AND THIS IS THE MOST VALID POINT: When a kid hunting for his first time gets a buck that scores 160 they are going to expect that EVERY time they hunt. I'm not saying it isn't cool for a kid to get a buck that big, but comon' that doesn't happen every season to every person.
These are just my thoughts guys. Like I said, I'm not against having this, but why not have it during the doe season AFTER regular firearms? I completely agree with having a special time set apart for JUST youth. But if it's going to happen the weekend before the main firearms season.. there needs to be better regulations in place as well as penalties for parents who abuse this weekend. You know something is up when I open up my newspaper the Monday after the youth season and there are over 20 pics of kids holding up MONSTER bucks that they "supposedly" shot.
Thoughts? Concerns? and no I'm not ebinezer scrooge.