scat - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:10 PM
B&C 160 Class

Default scat

i found some scat at a location i havent scouted in over a year, and havent hunted in a few years. im not shure what type it was. normaly when i find scat it is all pellits like normal. this time i found a pile that was a mix of pellits and clumps. the pellits were slighly larger than i normaly find. though i know how big moose scat pellits are and they were no were near as big as moose scat. the clumps were about as big as a small childs fist, and were not solid. the clumps were formed by a bunch of pellits clumped together. what was this from? i think deer but am not 100%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 05:27 PM
B&C 140 Class

Here you can tell how close to their beding area you are because of how tight clumpy the scat is. The more clumpy the longer they have been beded down and if their up walking around its a pile of jelly beans. So it's posable you just found the scat of a deer after a good old sleep
Old 11-06-2011, 05:32 PM
B&C 160 Class

i did "jump" a deer about 350yards from were i found that skat. there is mostly hard woods were i was at but there is a pine thick area somewhat between were i jumped the deer, and were i found that pile. there was also a small rub line near were i found it. and the ground was tour up from heavy travel all throughout the area, but no scrapes.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:40 PM

I agree with on the fly.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:07 PM
B&C 160 Class

wow i have alot of last min adjustments to make. its my own fault that i am totaly unprepared for the season opening weekend next saterday. untill fryday i had thought that the season opener was the 15th. untill yesterday i had not even been in the woods. i had just been trusting/ hoping that the spot i have been hunting for the last few years would be just as prommising as always. sence today i scouted another area, ya my normal area has not been as prommising as i had hoped. this is the most unprepaired i have ever been for deer season. now that this new area looks so good, iv got less than one week to buy a new stand, and get it out there. once that is done iv got to deside wich gun i want to use and get it ready. the spot i had been planning on hunting the only option was the 12ga. (shotgun only area) and the longest shot possible there was maybe 25yards, so buckshot was fine. at this location shots could be up to 75+ yards so my buckshot plan is out the window. so my options are, get some slugs for the 12ga. and see how good of a shot i could make with the bead sighting. use the .270 (wich i love) but hate the scope on it,and dont trust the scope as far as i could through it, (had an insident were this scope fogging cost me a nice 8 pointer). or i could just buy a 5 round mag for the AR. love that gun, love that scope, just dont want anyone to see a guy in the woods with an AR and freak out. pluss yes i do know that .223 is on the very low end of what is an eceptible calaber to hunt with.

i made my bed with procrastination. now im sleeping in it. got no one to blame but myself.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 AM
B&C 120 Class

kind of in the same boat as you are with not much time on my hands I did a quick scout and then went back and hung a stand days before the season opened! The worst part is I went out sat. which was the opener and I could not hunt due to not being able to open the security gate due to a password problem.... Sucks need to give him a call. Just a though for you NH how about a ML do you have one?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:41 AM
B&C 140 Class

buckshot is illegal here in KY if one choses to use a shotgun you have to use slugs, and i would be with deerless is blackpowder an option ? I have took my muzzy many times during regular gun season. you said it was shotgun only but i wonder if you call your fish n game if that would fly caz they are just not wanting long range high powered rifles in there. maybe an option.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:51 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_the_fly View Post
buckshot is illegal here in KY if one choses to use a shotgun you have to use slugs,

it's illegal in missouri too
Old 11-07-2011, 01:09 PM
B&C 160 Class

has to be double 00 to be leagal hear.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:39 PM
B&C 160 Class

We cant use buckshot only slugs