Further up my tree... - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 AM
B&C 120 Class

Default Further up my tree...

Heres a first for me. I climebed up into my treestand staurday morning while still dark and got settled in. I kept hearing this scratching sound and thought it was my harness rubbing the pine bark as I turned. I sat there very still and still heard it and it sounded like it was coming from above me. I looked up and HOLY COW there was a huge porcipine sitting on a limb 15 feet above me. I did not have a back up plan so I figured it he tried to come down the tree I woud try to flick it off or jab it with an arrow. Fortunately he stayed up. He kept throwing bark at me which hit the metal treestand giving a nice ping. I never looked up my tree as much as I did that morning. No deer but surely will me memorable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 AM
B&C 180 Class

hahaha that is funny! I always fear having a skunk come in right at dusk and not knowing where it's at, or having a coon climb the same tree your in, or have turkeys at the top of the tree your in. All could scare the crap out of you! lol

that will be a memory you'll never forget!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:31 AM
B&C 140 Class

A couple of years ago I spotted a big porcupine ambling through the woods towards my stand as I sat overlooking a bear bait. He got right below my tree, but chose the one right next to it and began climbing up. He went way up and began breaking branches off to get the acorns(?) to the ground. I kept a close eye on him when I noticed that up "there" he could have gone from tree to tree. Of course, I figured I was well armed if he'd gotten too close, having my BLR/.450 in my hands....lol.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:02 PM
B&C 100 Class

Things like that lead to some of the best hunts. I've had the same thing happen with a coon and turkeys but no porcupine. Had a bad problem with skunks on my property a few years back and one of them would run toward you if he saw ya.....made for a few worried walks back to the truck at night
Old 10-31-2011, 03:53 PM
B&C 140 Class

lol. Never had that happen to me thank goodness, but the second stand i climbed into this year ended up being a turkey roost. That first gobble sure woke me up fast. He/they were about 20 feet above...
Old 10-31-2011, 06:59 PM
B&C 160 Class

i climbed up to my box blind one day about 30 ft up and a coon was sleeping in it
he saw me and jumped over the top and went all the way to the ground and never missed a step
Old 10-31-2011, 09:01 PM

lol.. I would have probably climbed back down.. Or starting throwing bark back at it.. (or lead)