Scrape games!!! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:28 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Scrape games!!!

Windy here again, not any noticeable movement either. decided to terminate todays hunt and scout the area to see I anything could be discovered on current deer movement.

Low and behold, A scrape! looks to be worked recently but because of the wind, leaves quickly covered much of it.

The problem is its 70yds from my current stand and I cannot move to this location. the ironic part of that last statement is, the scrape is 10' from the tree I used to hunt from for the past 4 years.
also it is a parallel deer trail to the one I am on now and it does not intersect anywhere nearby. I am considering creating a mock scrape on the trail I shot the last buck on, which would be 15 yds from my stand and move the scrape dirt and licking branch to the new location. then maybe juice it up a little to get the does to start visiting.

FEEDBACK??? I have never done this and now would be the best time to do it as next week is a no hunt weekend and the week after, IS ON. and should be right smack in the middle of the rut.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 PM

I wouldn't monkey with his scrape in any way except to try a scent drag with estrus scent and create a trail past your new stand placement. You could try a mock scrape with buck urine/estrus scent to make him think someone else has moved into his domain. 70 yds isn't too far to get a reaction from him using a couple of well placed scent wicks.Sure you can't move off the main trail to his scrape line/trail possibly closer to where the trails come close to one another? Many times bucks travel sceondary trails barely detectable to us that are safety networks for them. You've at least got a scrape to work from, there should be more of them to get a travel picture for you to figure out where to set up for him. This is the chess game at it's best! Good luck
Old 10-30-2011, 03:21 PM
B&C 100 Class

Just make a mock scrape closer to you. Get the magnum dripper with active scrape with it. It works great this is the second year making mock scrape and ive never seen so many bucks on cam and in person. They work great. I have a bunch of does visiting every night peeing all over the scrapes.
If I were you I would pee all over that bucks scrape trust me it wont spook him it will get him all worked up and he'll keep coming back looking
A matter of fact I pee on 2 scrape today I bet I get a few good pics tonight on the cams

PS Oh ya 70 yrds from a scrape is fine if the buck comes in ya just grunt him your way anyhow
Old 10-30-2011, 06:32 PM
B&C 140 Class

Didn't get these till after I returned. needed to move on this asap as I dont have time to play after work during the week. I switched the trail cam to video mode and placed it 15' from the scrape. I wanted to evaluate what was making the scrape as well as what was visiting it. I made a mock scrape right in the shooting lane from Oct 2nds buck. I still had some hot scrape left from last year (I wasnt very impressed with the results last year but figured Ill give it one more shot). Then when I left I doused both soles of my boots with the activator and walked out of the woods to a really masive rub in the next section of woods off of a rogue trail.
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Old 10-30-2011, 06:53 PM

From all that I've read estrus scent is not good after storing it. Deer pee can go to ammonia also. I use all fresh products every year. How well do they work, to me better than nothing and sometimes tricks even the best buck.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:27 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
From all that I've read estrus scent is not good after storing it. Deer pee can go to ammonia also. I use all fresh products every year. How well do they work, to me better than nothing and sometimes tricks even the best buck.
I have heard the same thing, but even 2011 special golden estrus states that it is still good for 2012, but the effectiveness drops slightly. So it really makes you wonder if maybe its not a ploy to make you buy new every year.

The hot scrape product I used did not smell of amonia btw, I did take a whiff before driving all the way to the woods. Actually, it smelled much as it did last year.
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate