Got any longe range stories? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Got any longe range stories?

The best long range story I've got that I can recall is a buddy of mine got a Rem model 700 .300 Win mag for his birthday on Nov 26, 2004. For Christmas he bought himslef a Leupold Rifleman 3x9x40 not knowing much about scopes he wanted a decent yet cheaper scope to learn with and let me tell you learn he did. Now he wasn't (still isn't) good at judging yardage. He went hunting down on his river farm one day after sighting in his scope dead-on at 200yds. He was debating on which of two stands he wanted to hunt and chose the one with the most tracks nearby. Well the deer came out that day on the otherside of the other stand. He figured he give em a try. Boom, one doe down. Boom, another down. Boom, a third drags herself into the woods after falling down (he also wasn't aware of the two deer daily limit either--he now does and follows well). He went back to his home and called me up to help him pick up the deer and dress them out. We got to the field they were in and loaded the two still there in the truck. We tracked the other and brought her to the truck as well. Now I know it was dark and even with his trucks lights (they shine low to ground) I couldn't see a deer stand in sight. So I ask, "Where is the stand you were hunting from?" "Oh, its over there a little ways".
"Where?" "Over there." Now I still couldn't see anything, but corn stubs poking through the snow, so I say, "Let's step it off and see how far it was."
We get out of the truck with flashlights and I count off from the blood soaked snow. At 100yds I ask, "Where at?" "Just a little further." 150 still nothing. At 200yds he shows me the stand he had thought about hunting but chose another.
Now this whole time I am keeping the yardage to myself. 275yds and we still haven't gotten to the stand. 325 and still nothing. Now I am going crazy cause this is his first experience hunting witha long rifle, but at 360 I can barely make out a black tower stand. we kept walking and I put my foot on the first rung of the ladder at 412yds. "How far do you suppose you headlights are from us right now?" I ask. "Maybe 200yds," he says. I laugh and reply with, "Try 412."

Yep 412yds with a .300mag/Leopold Rifleman combo sighted in at 200. He said he didn't think he'd aimed high at all. He dropped two with shots behind the shoulder and the third was hit just a little back. Awesome hunt even though he did shoot three deer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Scrub Buck

I myself have taken a doe at 275 yards running full throttle with a .25-06...one shot and dropped her. I couldn't believe it.

I also took a seven pointer at about 275 yards running wide open. A buddy and I were walking toward the front of the farm after shooting a doe and out of the brush bursts a doe being chased by this buck. I told my buddy to shoot him, but he is a short fellow and couldn't see the deer over the tall grass. At 6'4", I could see fine and unloaded a 7mm-mag at the deer. Dirt flying everywhere, I assumed the barrel was getting hot and just slinging lead where it wanted, so my buddy hands me his .223 and I lead the buck as he is about 35 yards from making it to the woods and squeeze the trigger. I thought I missed because I didn't see the deer fall, but my buddy said he didn't see him make it in the woods either. So, we walked over and there he lay in the peanut field, graveyard dead!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:53 PM

I'm impressed with that yardage man, I know I could never make shots like that. Mine are almost always within 100 yards. I always get asked why I use a Rem 710 30-06 for such shots but I guess it's the way I hunt (brush and timber) and I always loved a 30-06. The full throttle doe shot with the 25-06 is also very impressive. Oh, and by the way, that's an awesome screen name you got there.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:52 PM
B&C 100 Class

hey my best is about a 150 yarder with a .50 cal muzzloader lol. thats what i call range...
Old 10-25-2007, 11:09 PM
Scrub Buck

Default what up

I just wanted to say hello to all those real people out there that love this sport as much as I truly do. I spend as much time in the woods as possible and enjoy every moment. I truly appreciate and am glad that there are other individuals that share this same passion/obsession. All of you are true winners and define why God himself has blessed us with such wonderful animals to pursue and in such a wonderful landscape. As I like to say "Smoke a Monster" and brag like a liar!
Old 10-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Scrub Buck

Thanks timberghost...i actually shoot a rem model 710 in .30-06 now myself. I love that rifle!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:58 PM
B&C 180 Class

round here a 100 yrds would be long so nope dont got nothing
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 10-28-2007, 11:01 PM
B&C 100 Class

Depends on what ya consider the long shot.. the 1st shot or my 5th shot... I was only 12 at the time so dont laugh and it was my 1st deer...i was hunting a powerline in south alabama when a spike entered the food plot. I waited til it got in the the center of the plot when shot the first time well i missed so i preceded to shoot four more times as it ran toward me.. Finally the 5th shot connected.. It was 300 yards when i finally hit it.. when the guy i went with came to help me get my deer he asked where i shot to the first time.. Well he stepped it off and it was around 450 yards. While gutting this deer we noticed one of its ears was bleeding.. Well i was so nervous that i peirced its ear perfect with a 270 bullet.. Bet noone else can peirce a deer's ear at 350 plus yards... thank god i've not done that again i'd never live it down..
Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 PM
B&C 100 Class

Most every deer I've shot was atleast 200 yards... Lots of long food plots where i hunt
Old 10-28-2007, 11:47 PM
Scrub Buck

Well now actually just last year, I was hunting one morning and had a scub buck (cowhorn/spike) and a doe feeding at roughly 200yds. I waited and waited before shooting to see hwat else would come out. The deer's antlers were mangled looking so I had decided to take the deer before I left the stand. The only problem, the deer decided to leave the field first. The doe took off across the field at an angl stopping at what we marked off to be 375 yds. The buck came running behind her. When he stopped at the path, I squeezed the trigger and he looked around for what had just whizzed by him. He walked back towrds me and stopped and I was ready with the next round. This time he shook his head about like something hurt. He then took off towards the woods where he had been eating previously. I whistled as he reached the feeder and he stopped once more. 200yds must have been the extent of my .30-06 with the bullets I was shooting at the time. That shot went where I aimed and the deer dropped. The second shot went right throught the left ear...perfect circle...WILD!