trying to decide - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:38 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default trying to decide

The early Kentucky M/L season came and went with no sightings of the big bucks on our trail cam pics. The rifle season starts on 12 November and will start during, or just before the peak of the rut in this area. They finally cut the 100 last acres of standing corn which was directly adjacent to our 250 acres. There is still a couple hundred acres of standing soybeans close by, but at least we don't have that da*n corn standing where the bucks can hide out 24/7.

We set two more stands, one in a new location with lots of recent sign and in what should be an excellent spot. There were already a couple of scrapes close by the new stand location. My dilemma is this; I want to make a couple of "fake" scrapes near by in an effort to have the bucks perhaps move to them vs the ones that are really close to the new stand.

Would it be wise to do that soon, like now before they start actually using the ones already present (simple pawing only) or to wait until say 4-5 days before the opener to make some additional scrapes?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011, 09:11 PM
B&C 160 Class

I would vote for the 4 to 5 days before gun season
keep their interest up for the new buck
Old 10-24-2011, 10:30 PM

As everyone knows scrape hunting can be the hottest thing going or many days of no show. I like putting out fake scrapes just when the pre-rut ends and the prime time rut is happening. As a buck is traveling his normal route my goal has been to cause him to think another buck has invaded his territory and with estrus doe in heat scent get him to scent check the false scrapes. I usually make my false scrapes in tandem 20 yds out and 15-20 yds apart using hanging branch and wick above the scrapes with estrus scent and buck urine scents in the scrape. These false scrapes are used in what I have determined to be a good buck travel route and hopefully intercept him on my terms. If your doe to buck ratio is very high it's very possible that the bucks may not use his scrapes as he is tending plenty of does. With a low doe to buck ratio ,bucks have to utalize scrapes more to locate estrus does. This set-up, close to thick bedding/security area is a good tactic. I love rut hunting and it's the best chess game going!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:57 AM
B&C 180 Class

I agree with HM... he's da man

I'm not finding many scrapes, rubs, or pics of bucks on my property either. I'm hoping the big boys somehow show up during our rut... we shall see.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:11 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
As everyone knows scrape hunting can be the hottest thing going or many days of no show. I like putting out fake scrapes just when the pre-rut ends and the prime time rut is happening. As a buck is traveling his normal route my goal has been to cause him to think another buck has invaded his territory and with estrus doe in heat scent get him to scent check the false scrapes. I usually make my false scrapes in tandem 20 yds out and 15-20 yds apart using hanging branch and wick above the scrapes with estrus scent and buck urine scents in the scrape. These false scrapes are used in what I have determined to be a good buck travel route and hopefully intercept him on my terms. If your doe to buck ratio is very high it's very possible that the bucks may not use his scrapes as he is tending plenty of does. With a low doe to buck ratio ,bucks have to utalize scrapes more to locate estrus does. This set-up, close to thick bedding/security area is a good tactic. I love rut hunting and it's the best chess game going!

HM does that work on desert mulies? I tried putting some scrapes on Mesquite and all I did was get cut up!

Darn I want to whitetail hunt again. I'm jealous.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:46 AM
B&C 140 Class

The area is most certainly a good travel route for both bucks and does. I appreciate all the input and also think it would likely be better to wait until shortly before the season opens to make the mock scrapes. No one else is supposed to be hunting this piece of land, so things should stay pretty quiet there until the season opens on the 12th

Thanks!