Can you have too many does? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Unregistered

Default Can you have too many does?

I have been hunting pretty much every morning and night for the last 3 weeks. I always switch up the stands and times I hunt each stand but the results are always the same. I see 10+ does every time and havent seen a single buck.

I figured this was just bad luck and the bucks were out there just maybe I spooked them when I got in my stand so I got 5 trail cams, one for each stand, and set them up facing my food plots.

I have had the cameras up for 2 weeks days and every 2 days I pull the memory cards to see the pics on my computer. Havent seen a single buck in any of them. But Im seeing tons of does especially around 2-6am. No pics of anything during daylight hours.

If having too many does is a bad thing is it time to break out the Q-beams and the AR15s to start culling them? This happened before on my land 9 years ago. We only shot 3 bucks in 2 years and thats with me and 6 friends hunting every weekend from October-end of December.

Every time we hunted we saw massive amounts of does like 15+ and no bucks so my Dad said to go out after midnight with spotlights and start killing them but not to shoot any bucks, only does. We shot about 5-6 a night every weekend for 2 months and 3-4 years later we started seeing a lot more bucks.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 02:39 PM
B&C 180 Class

Well first off... in many states, spotlighting deer itself, is illegal,,, let alone killing them too. You might want to check your state's regulations on that.

To answer your question, yes you can have too many does and from what it sounds like you may have too many--- depending on your property size.

How big is the property you're hunting? If it's over 500 acres, I'd say a doe herd of at least 10 isn't bad and probably low. But if you're sitting on around 250 acres (like I am) 10 does is probably a few too many. Remember, those does will all get bred and more than half of them are likely to have twins. So if you start with 10 does this year, next year you could have those same 10 does and 15-20 other does or young bucks.

The other thing you have to consider is that bucks this time of year are in bachelor groups generally. They aren't quite yet runnin' with the gals. Now, granted, they usually are pretty close by. Also remember that many times bucks travel different trails than does this time of year as well.

If I were you, and if you have around 250 acres or less, I'd take out a couple does now, that way when the rut starts and you see a doe, you're more likely to see a buck chasing her. The more does you have, the more chasing your bucks will have to do and the less likely you're going to see a buck zoned in on just one doe.

Are you in firearm season, where ever you're at? If not, make sure you're staying legal and taking them with the proper weapon. Also, make sure you at least donate the meat to a needy family, don't ever let vension just lie and ruin.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:07 PM
B&C 120 Class

I would take a few does.Just don't waste the meat.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:12 PM
B&C 160 Class

Get out of the food plots and into the thickets and see if you don't start seeing some bucks. I don't see many bucks out in the open this time of year.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:29 PM

If you have Doe's it's almost a given that you will have Bucks Real soon.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:42 PM
B&C 140 Class

Angry

Well, looks like another crackpot to me. Please mention to me one single state that allows spotlighting of deer. Well?? I'd not bother answering any further, nor paying a bit of attention to any more posts by Mr "Guest"
Old 10-16-2011, 06:54 PM

Thumbs down

Turner, that's why I didn't respond, got too mad!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:42 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Turner, that's why I didn't respond, got too mad!

I agree guys... but honestly, I think some hunters are just clueless of this... I don't know how they could be, but they are. Plus it sounded to me like this "guest" was leaving them lay after spotlighting and killing them. Not ethical in my book.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:43 PM
B&C 140 Class

Sure hope he tries this here in Texas . . . . . . . and then gets caught by a Game Warden.

Let's see, the last time I heard about someone trying this, the guy got his one phone call . . . . . to his wife . . . . . . . wearing nothing but his skivvies. Everything else the guy utilized for his hunting excursion now belonged to the state - rifle, vehicle, spotlight, boots, clothes, EVERYTHING.

The game wardens pay very close to deer populations and available food. When the populations look like they will exceed available food sources (like this year), they will extend the season to allow the populations to get appropriately depleted. With last year's extensive mating season and this year's drought, if the deer population isn't thinned out considerably, then ~ 40% of the population will not make it through the winter due to lack of food. Hunters are being encouraged to max out their deer tags.

RR
Old 10-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Scrub Buck

well not quite sure if you all referring to no spotlighting at all or with a hunting weapon, indiana allows spotlighting, but is illegal if in possesion of weapon at the same time, what is referred to by this guy is completely unacceptable, besides if he sees 10 deer during legal hunting hours, why not take the limit then and donate what meat his family cant eat.