Morning hunts are epic failures... - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > The Lodge
The Lodge Meet other hunters and share hunting stories, tips, and tricks.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:26 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default Morning hunts are epic failures...

Been hunting every evening getting in my stand around 6pm. No matter which of my 4 stands I sit in I see deer every night. If my scope wasnt off I would have killed 5 already...yes 4 inches high and 4 inches right at 75 yards means it wasnt me. But in the mornings I dont see a darn thing. Starting to get tired of waking up at 6:15am 4 days a week just to see some birds and squirrels.

I have tried getting in my stand very early around 6am and also later after sun is up around 7am. I have sat all the way until 9-10 am and still see nothing. I have tried back in the woods and my field stands. No matter which stand I sit nor what time I get in it nor how long I sit I get the same results: no deer. Thought maybe it was the moon since its almost full but I have hunted mornings for the last 2.5 weeks and still havent seen a thing and that was obviously a different moon phase. Should I just give up on mornings and sleep in?

Last edited by Hunting Man; 10-07-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011, 05:34 PM
B&C 140 Class

Morning hunts for me means getting up well before dawn and being in place about a half hour to full hour or so BEFORE dawn breaks. Have had several successful morning hunts, most notable was a doe on Christmas morning. Tried finding her for over an hour before giving up and heading back to the house.
Needless to say, mama and the kids weren't too thrilled about me being out of the house. No one could open any presents without dad being present. Got the cold shoulder from mama AND the kids for most of the rest of the day.
Went back out after all the presents were open and found the doe less than 40 feet from where I'd been sitting when I shot her. Deer are some ornery critters, that's for sure.

Can you find your stand in the pitch black or with the help of a small flashlight? If you still want to hunt mornings, being there well before dawn breaks just may make the difference. My $.02 worth anyway.

RR
Old 10-07-2011, 06:44 PM

I love hunting mornings as 80% of my deer kills were in the morning. A lot of frustration comes out of your post! Harvesting is but a small part of hunting and is the net result of a whole lot of action/reactions both by the hunter and by the hunted. Focusing on every aspect of your methods and correcting the parts that need changed is what may be needed. How about setting up in a different area for a few days or hunt the afternoons, change up something to change your mind, luck and success. Please get the rig sighted in, the deer deserve it.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:57 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
Been hunting every evening getting in my stand around 6pm. No matter which of my 4 stands I sit in I see deer every night. If my scope wasnt off I would have killed 5 already...yes 4 inches high and 4 inches right at 75 yards means it wasnt me. But in the mornings I dont see a darn thing. Starting to get tired of waking up at 6:15am 4 days a week just to see some birds and squirrels.

I have tried getting in my stand very early around 6am and also later after sun is up around 7am. I have sat all the way until 9-10 am and still see nothing. I have tried back in the woods and my field stands. No matter which stand I sit nor what time I get in it nor how long I sit I get the same results: no deer. Thought maybe it was the moon since its almost full but I have hunted mornings for the last 2.5 weeks and still havent seen a thing and that was obviously a different moon phase. Should I just give up on mornings and sleep in?
Sorry, but I'd like a bit more info. What time is SR? What time are you sitting your butt in the stand? I always try to be 60 mins+ before official SR with my big butt, seated and ready to hunt. YUP, 30 mins of dark when I cannot see, nor legally shoot a deer. But, being there then tells me that the woods should be quiet enough at 30 mins before SR, when I CAN legally shoot a deer, sneaking back to it's bedding area.

Hope you have your scope/rifle dialed back in now too!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:21 PM

Im like HM with prob to 90% of my kills coming in the morning. I am exact opposite of you and love hunting the mornings and could care less about hunting the evening. I have just had better luck in the morning time. I usually sit till noon though. It seems like all my bigger deer have been between 9 and 10 in the morning. But I still see deer earlier than that.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:43 PM

Some spots are just evening spots, some are just mornings, some are both. A trail cam can help you determine the times that deer are using those areas.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:18 AM
B&C 140 Class

My hunt mornings start with me rising anywhere from 2:00am to 3:00 am and getting in the stand at least an hour before legal hunt time, which is 1/2 hour before sunrise. I prefer morning hunts to evening one for several reasons. 1st I have seen 99% of my encounters during the am. 2nd I would much rather shoot a deer and have the whole days light to dress out and transport the deer out of the woods. successful evening hunts just complicate things. especially Sunday nights.
PSE 2006 FIRESTORM LITE #70
PSE 2009 TREESTAND GX #70
PSE 2010 1/2 AXE 6 #60
PSE 2011 EVO #70

The Devils Advocate

Revelation 22:17

Old 10-23-2011, 04:11 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
If my scope wasnt off I would have killed 5 already...yes 4 inches high and 4 inches right at 75 yards means it wasnt me.

I have tried getting in my stand very early around 6am and also later after sun is up around 7am. I have sat all the way until 9-10 am and still see nothing.
I can't believe you missed five deer before checking your scope! I always make sure mine are zeroed before the season opens. And if I were to miss one, I would check the zero again. I have killed nine deer in the last five years. In that time I missed only one. That one was when my muzzleloader hang fired.

You are not getting in your stand early enough. When I hunt mornings, I am in my stand and prepared to shoot at least an hour before daylight. Of course I don't shoot before daylight. I use scent suppression on me, my clothes, and my boots. And I am as quiet as possible.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:22 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win73 View Post
I can't believe you missed five deer before checking your scope!
Was 2 different rifles. I dont know how to sight them in so when I found one was off I switched to another one. Then found out that one was off too, by even more. Just set up a blind. I figure with 3.5" buckshot and a 10 yard shot it wont matter anymore lol.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:54 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Was 2 different rifles. I dont know how to sight them in so when I found one was off I switched to another one. Then found out that one was off too, by even more. Just set up a blind. I figure with 3.5" buckshot and a 10 yard shot it wont matter anymore lol.